1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Yikes! Z-axis gone wild

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PickyBiker, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not a bad plan but it shouldn't really be this difficult. Somethings not behaving correctly if you're throwing your nuts.

Try that plan but be ready to kill the power. I'm almost heading home and should be doing a test print using my auto-calibration setup and I want to try understanding how the z height offset plays a role. If you want to wait for me to experiment I'll post results when I know more.

2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

This first roll out of the auto bed leveling has been confusing for people. I am very sorry about that. The video that comes with the printer can be ignored for the most part. It shows the 3 point calibration with the piece of paper, and it shows how to level the x axis across the bed. Non of this is necessary. The 3 point calibration will actually mess up the auto leveling.

On top of that, MC (matter control) will tell you, you should update your firmware, which you should not do. If you do update your firmware it will change some important settings and make your machine function incorrectly.

These issues are getting completely eliminated as we speak. We have a new version of MC coming out designed just for the auto leveling printers. And we have a new version of the video ready to go.

I have attached the auto leveling firmware to this post. Please flash your arduino with this firmware, and then set your z offset in the slicer settings under printer settings. Delete any printer profiles you have set up in MC and start with a fresh one. Add G29 to the custom g code. Then start a test print and let us know how it goes.

You should also download the RoBo3D edition of MatterControl here: http://www.robo3dprinter.com/pages/robo3dsoftware

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  3. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

SUCCESS!!! I uninstalled MC and deleted the MC folders. Re installed MC, turned the printer off and on and reconnected it. Then I realized I was putting the offset value in the EEPROM and I was supposed to be putting it in the Slice settings -> Z Offset.

Reprinting the calibration square now worked and I got a nice little square.

2 people like this.
  4. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Thanks Jerry... Is there a procedure somewhere for me to flash the auto leveler you provided?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Section B9
    melodybliss.org/robo3d

6. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Um... That link talks about arduino software (whatever that is and wherever that is). Then it talks about compiling it. Isn't there an already compiled file for this somewhere? I'm not really wanting to be an arduino programmer, just a plain ol' Robo 3D maker kinda guy. I would like to have a file that is ready to go and a utility that can flash it for me. Too much to ask?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The file is ready to go, you don't need to compile anything it does that for you. Just load in arduino (which is what the r3d runs on) , then go to file > upload and you're done.

Though arduino isn't scary, don't worry :) It doesn't take a super user to change a few arduino values.

8. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

*Edit: As I posted this all of the other messages weren't showing for some reason. If you're working fine and want to stick w/ MC you can ignore this message.

Picky: My suggestion currently would be to switch over to Cura. I can send you my settings if you want. I input the offset as part of my initial layer thickness and my 3rd print looks to be going much better, functioning and I got a good first layer (I think, I'll let you know for sure when it's finished).

9. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Yes, I'm working fine now so for the time being, I will stay with MC. Thanks for all your help.

10. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

The only software have is MC. That's all that came with the CD. I don't know what r3d is or where to find something called arduino to load. I really need a step by step procedure to flash the firmware.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

r3d is an abbreviation of RoBo3D

Go here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Scroll down to
    Arduino IDE

Arduino 1.0.5

Click the download for your operating system

Install that software.

Extract the auto_level zip.

Double click Auto_Level.ino to load it in arduino.

File > Upload

Wait for it to finish.

You're done

Marlin has a prompt for updating firmware but it's not presently updated.

12. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Wow, now that was EASY. Thanks Mike I appreciate that help. Now out to buy some Aqua Net hair Spray. (never thought I would be shopping for that stuff!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.