1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Your Bed -- a preemptive solution

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have seen a lot of new threads recently about slipping or shifting layers during printing.

Now some of these are really due to some mechanical fault that can be corrected but is generally a bit more entailed.

There is one thing that everyone can do to help eliminate this issue for many users.

Look at your bed can it possibly slip on its own sometimes the clips do not hold it down tight enough.
    The bed is the most critical part of the print. So check your beds out see if they move or even have the chance of moving if they do use something like tape around the perimeter to secure it.

This isn't going to solve all of the issues but I bet it clears up a high percentage.

Nothing should move on the bed unless is being done by a motorized force so if you feel your bed may be loose then secure it.

2. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

A simple fix if your bed is moving with the default clips is to take a little bit of blue tape and line the edges. It worked well as a starting point. The new clips I've been working with do a better job in gripping the headed bed and the glass. Just I'm not happy enough with the design and the repeatability of the design to post anything just yet.

3 people like this.
  3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that is what I did for several weeks Ben

4. da9l

da9l Member

I've had two annoying problems with the stock v1.1 bed clips for ABS with boro glass.
    1. When the head goes to home, it parks just above one of the clips. If the extruder happens to be on and happens to ooze some plastic (I'm using colorfabbs PLA/PHA) it will end up on the clip. The next time I hit Home, the head will hit the hardened plastic on the clip and move the clip out of position such that it loses it's hold of the glass and bed. To fix this I need to remove the extra plastic with a knife after each print!
    2. If the extruder is heated and gets parked immediately above a clip at z near zero it will melt the clip and basically render it useless since it loses it's shape and bedclipping ability.
    So I'd guess I'm in for some painters tape to fix the bed.

5. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

You need to watch the movements the printer takes to "home" the extruder, take note and place your clips so they are out of the line of the extruder.

6. da9l

da9l Member

You are right.

However to fix problem 2 I printed a replacement clip from the robo3d collection at thingiverse in pla/pha and it's holding the bed in a lot firmer grip.
    I'm almost inclined to replace all clips with pla/pha ditos just to get a firmer grip in all four corners of the bed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

7. Stas

Stas New Member

Same problem here. I have corrected it with a longer X stop bolt. You lose 5 mm of print area but my bed is warped so i cant build big anyway.

8. collin

collin New Member

I have this issue but I cant physically find the problem. can someone (hopefully my bro tess) post pictures of this fix being applied? thanks :) :) :)

9. Bob64

Bob64 Member

The only time i've seen the bed move is when the print warps and the extruder crashes into the print - forcing the belt to slip OR knocking the print off the bed completely.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I had mine (KS Robo version) move a lot initially, the supplied clips were insufficient given the amount of violent motion it was undergoing. I used small binder clamps to forcibly attach the glass to the CF panel and heater bed. This has worked wonderfully, but with the new bed waiting for me to install it in a couple of days that is all moot now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.