1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z axis calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Rygg, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Hey everyone , I am trying to print something that has circular hole along the z axis of the part.
    the problem it the circle is not a circle when it prints it is short and wide 18 mm wide and 17.6 mm tall.
    not a big problem except I want to fit a 18 mm magnet in the hole.

I have tried scaling the z axis by 1.04 to compensate but am still not getting there.

is this due to the non-metric rods ?

any idea other then keep scaling up the z axis ?

thanks
    John

2. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

Hi John, try checking to see if your belts are tight enough. They should make a low twang like a guitar string when you pluck them.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

One possible cause ....

With a fairly big hole on the Z axis, the extruder will need to bridge a fairly wide gap at the top of the hole. When the extruder goes across a gap like that it generally it speeds up and turns the fan full on in a effort to bridge the gap without the plastic sagging before it cools. However if you have a look with a magnifier you may still see some (sometimes a lot of) sagging at the top of the hole. That sagging could easily be the cause of the diameter being less by 0.4mm in the vertical direction.

If this is your problem, changing the bridge settings in Slic3r might reduce the sagging. Alternatively, a dremel works every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.