1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z-axis motor grinding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by smilligan93, Nov 24, 2016.

1. smilligan93

smilligan93 New Member

Hello all, I have a Robo 3D R1 Plus that was purchased back in May. The issue I'm having is the left Z-axis motor is making a grinding sound and moves slower than the right motor/rod. I had this issue in the past as well, but seemed to "fix it" by simply unplugging the motors under the printer. I have tried that this time to no avail.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It could be a bad stepper.
    try swapping the Z motor connections on the RAMPS board (they move move the same so swapping is not a killer).
    If the problem moves from one to the other Z stepper then it is the stepper driver card and if it sticks with the one motor it is a bad stepper.

3. smilligan93

smilligan93 New Member

Okay, fairly certain it's a bad stepper motor and intermittently has problems.

The first time I swapped the cables, it seemed to be working perfect. Both motors were moving as expected, I didn't hear any sounds.
    The second time (so this is swapping them back to their original positions), it seemed to be working perfect, but I noticed a feint sound coming from the left motor that I didn't hear from the right, not nearly as loud as before.
    The third time, the loud grinding noise was back and the stepper motor was moving slower or not at all.
    Swapping them a fourth time, same results as the third.

In order to swap the cables I do have to flip the printer onto it's side, not sure if that could be affecting anything.

Thank you for the help!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nothing major will be affected unless you drop-kicked while doing it :)

Get a replacement NEMA-17 from Robo or whomever you like. If it is not a match for the stock steppers you will want to replace both Z steppers and then tweak the steps/mm in CONFIGURATION.H to match the new ones.

5. smilligan93

smilligan93 New Member

Oh, perhaps I should stop doing that then ;)

Is there an easy way to check what the stock motors were? I did some searching but couldn't find a straightforward way of figuring that out. And what would be a good replacement motor? I couldn't find any on Robo's site and not sure what torque/amps/volts to get.

Thanks again!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. smilligan93

smilligan93 New Member

Awesome, I'll pick up two of those and just replace both. Thanks for the help!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly NEMA-17 only defines the face form factor (i.e. how it mounts) but there are a lot of 3D printers out there now and most of them all use very similar motors.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Step angle is the same so steps/mm should be right. Good luck.