1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis printing too short.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jwvanno, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jwvanno

jwvanno New Member

First of all, thanks for any support.

I bought an R1 a week or two ago, and have been very pleased with it.

I have not made any modifications to it, and am running it exactly as it came out of the box.
    I am using Hatchbox PLA fresh from it's sealed bag.
    Bed at 60, extruder at 210. No coating or tape on the glass bed.
    Other settings vary, as I experiment with what seems to work, and what doesn't.

I drew a simple servo bracket in Sketchup v8 and saved it as an STL.
    I opened the file in Cura 14.12.1.
    If I print the file flat, it is proper, and the servo fits properly.
    If I rotate the file 90 degrees and print it vertically, the opening is not wide enough, as if the Z-Axis is not moving up quite enough with each step.

In this photo, you can see the difference in size. This was the same file, only the left side was printed horizontally, and the right side was printed vertically, with support material in the opening.

DSCN1835.JPG

I am not having any trouble with print QUALITY, I had the settings really loose, to test this. I am only concerned with the difference in the size, where the only change to the entire system was rotating the piece 90 degrees in Cura.

Is there a calibration procedure or other ideas anyone can point me to to correct this?

I have verified that I am using 8mm rods, per one post here, and verified the line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

in the confiuration.h file as recommended here also.

Can anyone advise a solution?

Thanks a ton.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

try starting here:

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...sistance-height-is-too-short.3101/#post-26712

and read the rest of the thread. You can try experimenting with Z axis steps in the GCode and see if you can find a number that tunes it in.
    Then you could update the firmware with the correct number.

You might also try reloading the firmware (a copy that has the steps set correctly) just to be certain what you have loaded is correct.

3. jwvanno

jwvanno New Member

Well, that solved the problem if I'm using MatterControl so for now, that'll do it. In particular, the comment by @Jefferyfish on 9/5/14 helped.

There obviously is still a setting in Cura that I'm missing, since it still prints wrong there, but at least I have a new baseline to work with and compare notes.

Thanks Mark.

3 people like this.
  4. jwvanno

jwvanno New Member

After the above steps, I deleted the machine profile in Cura and rebuilt it based on Mike's post here:

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/how-to-cura-setup.4169/

I had followed that one the first time as well, but now, with the revised numbers in the firmware, and a new profile built in Cura, I seem to have resolved all of the issue and 1 inch equals 1 inch. :)

I figured I'd post a followup, for the next person that may need it.

Thanks.

5. Vabrik

Vabrik New Member

hello - the link below no longer goes to any forum post. any chance this solution is still on file somewhere? i'm having the same issue with my z-axis. thanks!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The search function is crude, but usable.

They have altered the forum software a time or two so sometimes links are broken. You can find them with the search tool usually :)

Vabrik likes this.
  8. Vabrik

Vabrik New Member

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#9 mark tomlinson, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BTW: If you have an recent R1 with 8 mm threaded rods then this:

Is you correct Z steps/mm. That linked post describes where to change the values correctly but those values are for 5/16 rods. So to be clear: Z steps is 2267.72 per mm for 5/16 and 2560 for M8

12. Vabrik

Vabrik New Member

i was able to get the EEprom settings in MatterControl up and changed the Z steps/mm to 2560 and its working great now (printing better than it ever has), but when i quit MC the value won't stick and i have to change it every time. i'll go through the steps of re-flashing the firmware. thanks so much for your help!