1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis problems--broken M565 line?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Heimdall, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heimdall

Heimdall New Member

I'm sure by now everyone is sick of hearing about Z axis problems, but I have been messing with this for months, to no avail.

My startup Gcode:
    Code:
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Home
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    M565 Z-1.0;
    The problem: M565 seems to be behaving wildly inconsistently. For example, I will have it at -1, and it will be slightly too far away, so I change it to 0, and it's an equal amount too far away. So I change it back to -1, and now it's too close. I've been adjusting it around and around in circles for ages. What on earth could be causing this? Thanks everyone!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Where is the G29? Without that the M565 is useless.

3. Heimdall

Heimdall New Member

I didn't know that. I had it in there for a long time, at first before, and then after the M565, and was still having problems. Now I know it NEEDS to be in there, let me try again.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, the G29 is what actually activates the autoleveling sensing and calculates the "level plane" the firmware will apply the M565 value to. I can't imagine it would have any effect if the G29 was never called :) It needs to be after the last G28 (if you have more than one) and before the G29

5. Heimdall

Heimdall New Member

Alright, I can't seem to recreate the problem after adding in G29, so I'm going to mark this resolved. I am still having an impossible time with adhesion, but that's a different beast. Thanks Mark!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck -- open a new thread if you need. In general decreasing the Z offset slightly may hep or use an adhesion "enabler" (like hairpsray).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.