1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis skipping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marcomateus, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcomateus

Marcomateus New Member

Mid print the z axis started lifting up half an inch above the 3d object being printed extruding filament. Erratic type behavior. Any ideas, thanks

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Check and make sure the fan on the RAMPS is working. If not the board will overheat and do crazy things like skips steps and such.

Ocsff likes this.
  3. Marcomateus

Marcomateus New Member

Turns out it was the filament stuck on the spool and the extruder was not able to feed the filament through. It caused it to lift up off of the 3d object. Thanks for the info. I printed some feet for the printer to create better airflow, just in case.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I hate the stuck filament. Had is happen when I got careless swapping spools and looped the feed it ended up binding an hour in... agh!
    Oh well :) I guess I always wanted to see the carriage all the way at the top ...

5. Marcomateus

Marcomateus New Member

Yeah it is a new spool of pls and it got caught. I was 6 hrs into a print and it messed up.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

:(

Welcome to the world of 3D printing failures.

Glad you got it sorted ... they happen* :) At least in this case you know what caused it.

*but seldom do they happen while printing the skirt on a 20+ hour print job... no, something says they must not fail until 75% of the way in ...

7. Marcomateus

Marcomateus New Member

I know, I was printing a robotic arm that was aproaching 32 hrs and I bumped the usb from laptop to robo 3d and it lost connection. I was devastated.

8. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

Good point - I forgot to connect the fan last time I had the case off and was getting random skips - after an hour or two researching I think this is the issue (trying a print now). I couldn't find any lose belts etc.

Attached Files:

9. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Let me know how it goes. I was to lazy to check for like 3 weeks. I had issues like that. Could not figure it out. I assummed I plugged the fan in the correct way and it was working. I was wrong. Once I actually checked it I plugged it in backwards and it wasn't working. Once that was fixed my problem was solved.

10. lamiskin

lamiskin New Member

Turns out that was my issue - I just finished a print that I tried so many times today, but kept failing.

We'll have to keep that in mind for the future :)

11. jawa6988

jawa6988 New Member

I know this thread is old, but it just saved my bacon. Been in a rush to get a prototype out and the printer started failing. Thanks guys!

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.