1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z offset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by R_Lee, Nov 8, 2015.

1. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Been a while since I have printed. I am back to it now. When I opened matter control, there was an update. Now it has offset buttons for z on the controls screen. The video shows 1.0 being default and from what I thought if I hit like 1.2 the print head would raise away from the table .2mm. Does not seem to be the case. My first layers are just not thick like they once were and if I use tape, the print head drags through the tape. It was not doing this before. Should I be going the other way with like .8? Or should I try a negative value?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't speak for MC but if down this way (in teh startup gcode) the offset must be negative to go further from the bed:

G28 ; Home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the Z offset value
    G29 ; probe bed

3. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

what should I be using instead of matter control

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are others (free) like KISSLICER but I really consider most of them as rough as MatterControl

6. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Still waiting on a robo guy that uses mattercontrol to explain the correct process when hitting the offset buttons. Or how to make sure the part was sliced with that offset. Seems like even if I change the offset, save it, and then load the part it will not always take the offset. I have changed the offset everywhere I can find. One thing I do not understand, I had a negative offset that worked ONE time at -0.5. That was edited in as an offset button. But it only worked once. After that, no matter when I hit the button, the offset would not take. Now if I change the offset in the slice settings, the value that works is 0.5, not negative. So the M565 code that is put in the g-code is usually negative I think. If I change the offset in the slice setting, is that different and needs to be positive?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hopefully someone who uses MatterControl will chime in here.

Yes, M565 is usually negative since the 'above' the bed is defined as negative coordinates for that command*. Zero would (ideally) be flush against the bed.

*the M565 was removed in later versions of Marlin -- NOT ONES that Robo uses and that branch does use positive numbers (but not via the M565 command). @WheresWaldo is more up-to-date on current marlin releases

R_Lee likes this.
  8. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

I like cura. Everything was easy and had me printing again. But when printing this spool holder, the robo would stop printing. Cura was still active but the printer would be stopped. @Mike Kelly suggested using a sd card to print, but was unable to tell me how to do it from cura. So I went back to mattercontrol for the sd printing. But turns out, the part prints really nice in mattercontrol without any stopping via usb. The gcode seems to be more fluent in matter control and the parts print with less Z banding. I think that is what it is called. For something that seems like it should be so easy, I am surely having trouble with getting the same z offset to repeat itself in mattercontrol.

9. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Thanks for your replies Mark

10. Gordon Freeman

in mc you can do the z-offset by going into "Advanced Controls" then the settings tab, after that, you click on "Printer", in the General view you should see Z Offset (youll need to do the advanced view)

Attached Files: