1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z stepper motor hangs up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by asignco, Aug 19, 2014.

1. asignco

asignco New Member

After manual level-printer is one yr old-I raise the z axis, set up print, heat bed and extruder print starts extruder moves x axis y axis but while lowering to hit z home, the left stepper jams-makes loud humming/grinding noise. If I hit the z end stop-motor stops. If I give all-thread bar a little twist z continues to lower. If I raise z up near top, the z motor hangs up about 3/4 in from bed. No issue any higher than that. I have taken the carriage and by hand raised and lower to be sure there are no areas where is binds. I don't dare lubricate anything until someone tells me OK to do so. right stepper seems ok.
    Something I can do or has stepper stepped out on me?
    -mark}

2. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

Mark,
    I just ran into this, too. Did you ever get it fixed?
    Ryan

3. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

Ok, yes I know I've awakened a sleeping thread, but perhaps this will be useful. It was simply the fact that the two z steppers were binding because the carriage was totally out of parallel. I simply rotated the right z threaded rod as I slid the extruder carriage across the x axis rails until the distance between the extruder nozzle and the bed looked to be about the same. Ran a part thru with no probs at all.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. asignco

asignco New Member

Yes -originally Robo3d sent me new couplers, but that didn't help much, I still couldn't get them tight enough to stop the thread from spinning. So I used a thin 2sided tape and wrapped it around the threads that are inside the coupler and solved the problem . Now no slippage . It lasts quite awhile too.

-mark

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I ended up using CyanoAcrylate to glue mine in. They have not moved since.
    Same idea though. Tape works too.

6. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

I'll add that to the list of upgrades. Thanks, gents!