1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered RAMPS plug fried - Resolder or Replace?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Karuuv, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karuuv

Karuuv New Member

I was having some issues with our Robo 3D R1+ (It would power off during a print [Bottom right fan seemed fine], lights would flicker more and more starting when hotend would hit ~200º, thought it was a power supply issue but persisted after replacing the PSU)

Eventually I noticed a little bit of black on the RAMP's plug that goes to the power supply, and when I took the board out to look at it from a better angle... Yikes.

Is it possible/wise to just replace the plug?
    Or should I get a new RAMPs board?

Opinions/suggestions incredibly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

IMHO ... New RAMPS

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

replace

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. Karuuv

Karuuv New Member

Drats, was hoping I could be cheap. Thanks for your recommendations, guess I'll go dig up one of those "What RAMPS board do I get" topics I saw floating around . :)

Thank you!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, if you really want to be cheap you swap the MOSFET and hope that was all that was going south.
    Sadly it is usually other bits that are failing. So unless you want an exercise in troubleshooting discrete electronics -- replace it.

6. Karuuv

Karuuv New Member

I was looking at the Kuman one on Amazon for about 18 dollars (I can't post links yet, sorry!)

But the first review has screenshots of that exact same plug burnt out, so that's kind of scary.
    Then I was looking through this forum, and saw a Solid State Relay (25A SSR-25DD Solid State Relay Module DC 3-32V To DC 5-200V) on BangGood (Though, that ones not in stock) that the poster said would prevent the burnout.

So instead of running the power cables to the RAMPS I would run them to the SSR, and have the RAMPS signal to it when to send power through?

If I get that working, I'd also need to change the configuration.h to work with PID.... which is in another thread somewhere.

Does that all sound correct or did I misunderstand? Is there anything I've missed? Sorry for the bonus questions!

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are correct.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

8. Karuuv

Karuuv New Member

Cool beans, thank you again :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.