1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Stringing or Oozing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marco Ramirez, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

hi friend my printer robo r1 plus started with a new problem , Stringing or Oozing , Stringing (otherwise known as oozing, whiskers, or “hairy” prints) , how can i fix it ?
    Yesterday when I changed the filament jam the previous color, fix the problem, but now I'm noticing that I have this problem Stringing or Oozing.
    Usually this problem Stringing or Oozing happened but not so much I think it increased,

I hope you can help me master

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

What you describe can be a few things.
    First are you describing what your print looks like or a condition your nozzle looks like?

I am assuming the print or model is coming out with stringing.
    Share what your temperature settings are and I'll bet you are running about 210C with PLA. If I am correct then adjust your nozzle temp to somewhere around 190-195 and see if the stringing is still there.

If I have assumed incorrectly, give some more info and we'll see what we can do to help.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PLA or ABS?
    Neither. Use one of the other DOZEN filament types and then decide which is better for you :)

P.S. Yes with PLA stringing is normally printing too hot.

Marco Ramirez and Geof like this.
  4. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

ok im usaed 210c im gone change for 190c and see what happend . TKS

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Poll cannot be answered since it is asking a nonsensical question. But ABS is one of the worst to print with. It was never designed to be an extrusion and has properties better suited to injection molding. People still use it and since it is the LEGO plastic they think everything should be in ABS. There are so many other filament chemistry's now that far exceed some or all of the properties of ABS.

@mark tomlinson is right about PLA being too hot and stringing. Most filaments behave the same way except PETG where stringing usually indicates extruding too cold.

6. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

im used a 190c and see other error , ERROR ECHO COLD EXTRUSION PREVENTED , just said that dont stop the printing , but said that on laptop screen.

7. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

im put faster the retraction extrusión of 30% to 50% , nothing happend . still with Stringing or Oozing problem , but the new error (ERROR ECHO COLD EXTRUSION PREVENTED ,) freak me out.

8. Rigmarol

I get that notification all the time.
    I think it simply means a Cold Extrusion was prevented.
    Prevented is good.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump in.

Marco Ramirez likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is generated when the firmware thinks your extruder is too cold.
    There was at least one version of the R1 firmware where this number was set to a really silly temperature of (IIRC) 185 to 190c
    As long as it kept printing you are fine, but you might want to sanity check that you have the current firmware for your printer and I would suggest you start with being very certain you know exactly which model you have.

10. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

im up of 190c to 195c, I put the temperature up a bit, I'll try later

11. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

tks ,, i have the R1+ but i dont now the firmware ? im gone see later

12. Rigmarol

Last year I took my printer (R1+) in to the Robo shop in San Diego and they checked my firmware to be sure I had NOT loaded the latest version. They told me then the version before the latest was better. I've since heard the same said here.

Now, that was a year ago so I'm not sure there is anything newer.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only for the C2 :)

14. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

im not up date mine , so its defaut of Factory , im buy mine 6 months ago. im gone check later . tks

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Rigmarol the only better firmware for the R1 Beta | R1 | R1+PLUS is the Marlin 1.1.0 that I posted in the mods sub-forum. It has so many things fixed that that did not work as expected in the firmware originally provided by Robo (not the fault of Robo but rather Marlin 1.0.0 upon which it was based on). Robo has never released a version of the firmware for the R1 Beta | R1 | R1+PLUS that is newer than Marlin 1.0.0 regardless what they call it.

The only real issue (really a non-issue) you will have moving from Robo (Marlin 1.0.0) firmware to the Marlin 1.1.0 firmware properly configured for the Robo is that you will likely need to tweak some of your slicer profiles to correct workarounds done using Robo's original configuration.

Don't take my word for this, just ask anyone currently using the community supplied Marlin 1.1.0 firmware.

#15 WheresWaldo, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Marco Ramirez and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And that branch @WheresWaldo maintains is slightly ahead of the C2* in terms of features/functionality.

*it is fine for the R series, I would not suggest use on the C2 since there are a few minor tweaks in the C2 version that are specific to it.

Marco Ramirez and WheresWaldo like this.
  17. Rigmarol

@WheresWaldo , I'm going to try your stuff one day. But everything has been working well so I've just been printing my brains out. Thanks for doing all that work.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Without owning a C2/R2 I cannot just guess what Robo has done with Marlin firmware. If I ever decide to move from my R1 to another Robo 3D printer then I would probably make sure it was current with Marlin development.

@Rigmarol You did ask if there was anything newer.
    @mark tomlinson The tweaks to the C2 firmware are minor in my cursory investigation, but I can't test anything so I won't be playing with the firmware for it.

Marco Ramirez and Rigmarol like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Until they decide to check back in their changes it would be a major pain. Someone would need to diff/merge their stuff back into the current branch ... ugh. Not even worth doing until post-R2 release in case there is anything else that needs changing. I can't see much future in the maintenance of their custom stuff anyway, the users will likely want to go into mainstream Marlin by the production label at any rate. I may well jump in and help out with that merge once they are totally stable.

20. Marco Ramirez

Marco Ramirez New Member

you said the Marlin 1.1.0 firmware. its better ?