1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Troubleshooting help, out of ideas

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MinnesotaFats, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

I have an R1 that is running a E3D v5 extruder. I use MatterControl 1.5. Right now I am using black 1.75mm PLA from ROBO 3D.
    Some of the settings I am running
    220* extruder
    45* bed temp (I was getting elephant foot)
    1.05 extusion multiplier
    Print cooling fan at 85% max
    Speed for infill is all factory from MC.
    High quality print (.1MM layers)
    E3D 3mm nozzle

If you could please help me troubleshoot what is happening with my prints it would be greatly appreciated. I have tried moving the print temp up since it looked like I was running into issues and that helped only so much. I moved my extrustion multiplier up, but that just caused the extruder to bump up and down on the cooled plastic and cause a mess. You can actually see what I am talking about on the calibration ring. What you see in the pictures are the stock calibration circle and calibration cube from MC. I have done all sorts of reading on troubleshooting prints, but the recommended changes do not see to be doing anything positive for me.
    IMG_20170506_145558972.JPG IMG_20170506_143700182.JPG IMG_20170506_143642939.JPG

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

For starts 220 seems much to hot for pla. Are you sure you have the .3 nozzle defined and not the .4 stock

MinnesotaFats likes this.
  3. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

I can easily try dropping the temp down and try again, but I was getting a lot of stringing when printing the test circle. I moved the temp up and that went away.

I do have the nozzle at .3. That has been verified.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Stringing on PLA is usually an indication of printing too hot. Most filaments printed hot will string with an exception of PET-G or PET-T which seems to need hotter temps to get rid of stringing.

MinnesotaFats and Geof like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or nylon -- that stuff can string when too cold.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

He only asked because the stock nozzle is 0.4 so we wanted to be sure you had replaced it :)
    Otherwise having the size set incorrectly will cause the slicer to make mistakes.

Geof likes this.
  7. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

Sorry if that came across wrong. I didn't mean it to. I am all for you guys pointing out the blatant stuff, since I am out of ideas. So I just dropped my temperature down to 200* and ran the calibration cube, again. It started out perfect, but then ran into another issue I was going to bring up. After several layers the hot end starts to ride along the cooled down previous layer. The noise is horrible and it completely destroys the print. I had this problem before only to discover the case fan was unplugged, once I plugged it back in all seemed fine. But now it is doing it again. It's like the z-axis is not moving up. Could this be caused by over extrusion? My next step is to calibrate the extruder, just saw another post by you, Mark, and plan on going through that process. Thank you everyone for the help so far. It is greatly appreciated.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Calibration of the extruder is a good idea.
    However, what version specifically of the printer do you have? Is it actually an R1 (not a beta, not an R1+)? Do you have any upgrades (like the leadscrews?) installed?

You may have the incorrect version of the firmware loaded... the real difference between ALL of those printers is the Z steps/mm. If you load the incorrect firmware for your hardware then the Z will either step too far or too little and eventually cause a print failure (it won't get very high before this happens)

9. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

I worked through the video that was posted and my extruder is now spitting out 100mm of PLA when I advance it 100mm.

I have the R1, not the beta or +. Are you talking the firmware for MC? Or firmware for the printer? Even though I have owned the printer for a long time I am really new to all of this. I have been reading as much as I can before making this post, but I am running into not knowing what to search for.

As for upgrades, I have nothing. I the only thing I have are the stands for the spool to sit on top of the printer. Upgrades are hard for me since I have a hard time just using the stock printer.

Thank you for taking the time to answer such beginner questions.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only firmware is in the printer :)
    MatterControl will attempt to maintain the firmware for some versions of the Robo, but ... I would NOT advise using it to do that.

If you have the R1 (not the R1+) then I would suggest updating your firmware to a known good version for that printer. You can find the firmware and instructions over here:

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

Look for the one labled "ROBO R1 (Original) Firmware 3.0"

11. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

Guys I don't know how to thank you. I updated the firmware, changed the extrusion multiplier, and re-leveled the bed and my prints are so close to being right. The cube below looks so much better than the first one I showed you. cube.jpg

I am going to go through the troubleshooting guide for printing and make the final adjustments to get it perfect.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

I went through and made a couple of slight adjustments, while running multiple test prints from stuff pre-loaded in MC, and they seemed to be printing really nice. I then went to try and print a file I downloaded from Thiniverse and it failed miserably. I double checked I had the settings the uploader recommended and it still didn't work. The z-axis wasn't going up in anything I tried from Thingiverse. It would reach row 10 or so and then just stay right there and try to print the rest of the file.

I have been reading about this for a couple of hours now and I am not quite sure where to look. After work I am going to take the bottom of the printer off and build some makeshift stands to see if that helps drop the temperature. I am also going to look at the configuration.h file and look at the settings to see if they line up with the downloaded file and verify I didn't mess anything up, but after that I am not sure where to look.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

my guess would be the fan on the bottom of your printer isn't running at full power so the stepper drivers are overheating. Take the bottom off and point a fan under there and see if it works :D (like a standing fan...yes I know....not very professional lol) but it will tell you if its a cooling issue.

also take a look at the stepper drivers while the bottom is off and make sure the little heatsinks havent fallen off.

MinnesotaFats likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, that is a sneaky and evil problem to have :)

15. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

I know I said it once before, but thank you! I have an autistic boy that discovered fidget spinners a little while ago and has desperately wanted me to print him one. I offered to buy it, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. While this one is just a test run and not 100% perfect, I didn't set 100% infill and it is a little brittle, he is going to be over the moon. Not sure how often people thank you on behalf of their kids, but let me be one of them.

I ended up checking the fan and it was working perfectly and I then looked at the heat sinks. So I pulled the bottom off, put it on temporary legs and I ran two prints. The first was the brace for the threaded rod and it came out incredible, so I ran the fidget spinner and you can see the results. I can officially say my issue was completely related to heat

IMG_20170508_214715640.JPG IMG_20170508_214630161.JPG

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Heat is a real pain :D glad you got it sorted, go print your son all the things :) feel free to reach out with any questions or issues

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can leave the bottom off :) Then it is like a beta. I would still suggest a fan (mount it out the side by the electronics).
    No more worries about overheating though.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.