1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Ok, super weird ABS issue.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by x40sw0n, Mar 15, 2017.

1. x40sw0n

x40sw0n New Member

Alright so I (apparently like an idiot) have been trying to use the Robo to print ABS. I am running between 230-235 at the hotend and 90 at the bed. I had a lot of issues with bed adhesion because well frankly the bed isn't great for ABS. I threw together a nice little enclosure out of PIR foam board, and mounted the spool on an external holder.

Now I have great bed adhesion, but I am getting just bizarre issues right around later 20-30 I think, and it's very consistent.

I am attaching some pics.

Attached Files:

2. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is how you fix most ABS problems, STOP PRINTING WITH ABS!

That said, under-extruding doesn't look to be the issue, perhaps a bit too hot. A lot of ABS issues can be relieved but not 100% mitigated with proper environmental temperature control. The Robo being an open design does not allow for that so printing with ABS will always be problematic.

x40sw0n and Rigmarol like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

THIS!

Rigmarol likes this.
  5. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I print with ABS only and use abs slurry on the bed. NEVER had an issue since, and I can better smooth out my print over PLA.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@m4r1n5 you are too small a statistical sample to draw any conclusions, nor do we know anything about your environment. I am happy it works for you but your tale is an anomaly and not the norm. I stand by my previous statement.

7. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Calif, garage, makeshift enclosure with foam board, never covered my filament. BTW- Makergeek has awesome prices if you don't care what color you get.

8. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

My makeshift ABS box
    [​IMG]

This is my ABS/ACETONE mix. Consistancy of milk. 70c on the bed before I apply the slurry [​IMG]

9. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Total enclosure while printing. I use an old phone with IP Webcam app to keep an eye on it.
    [​IMG]

App works really well. I am starting my new project- Voltron. All five lions. 150% of original size, from Yeggi. Will be my biggest project. This is just the front and back chest, 20hr print. I expect each lion to be about 120hrs.
    [​IMG]

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I've never seen an instance where an ABS print would be preferable to a PETG/PET+ (if you can find the latter) print.

I do agree with Makergeeks being a pretty good supplier if you DGAF about the color of the spool you get.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  11. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I use PETG more for parts and tools as they have more overall strength. I Use ABS for things like vases, figurines, etc.. Being able to use acetone to smooth out my prints, fill minor cracks, is more advantageous than PLA or PETG in this regard.

12. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

No warpage. Works every time. HOWEVER, I did wake up to a midair print so it stopped extrudruding around hour 5. Have to look in to that..
    [​IMG]

13. x40sw0n

x40sw0n New Member

Ok, so I got really busy with various unrelated things, but I did manage to sort out what was going on. I have a fully enclosed thermal box (foam board). The issue seems to be as you go higher, the heat increases pretty dramatically due to it being trapped inside the box and not circulated. To resolve it, I opened up a bit of the top, to let the heat partially dissipate and it seems to have solved it.

I may fix it a bit better by installing a PC fan to circulate air to get a more even thermal envelope, rather than the uneven heated chamber I have now, but now I know *what* to tweak.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  14. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I am starting too see your logic, Mr Spock. I grabbed some PETG from Makergeek with some PLA and dang if it worked out perf first print. I might shift that way once I use up the 10 rolls of PLA and ABS I still have. Voltron Lion takes forEVER to print.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only reason to use ABS is -- cost.
    Period.
    If you need a higher glass transition temp than PET/G (which is not a lot better than PLA) then use something like BluPrint (it is higher than ABS). You need strength? PET/G or Alloy910 (or another nylon). None of those have the print issues that ABS has. There is a really long list of alternatives :) Most are not quite as cheap as ABS

16. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Makergeek has the discount of 4 rolls, their color of choices, for 60$. ABS, PETG,or PLA. I've used all 3 and came away with really good results. I am starting to agree with PETG over ABS though . Still have 3 rolls ABS to use up, but the PETG has come out really good so far.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sell or donate it :) I hear @Geof has a printer that will eat it.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea we have an army of abs eaters, shoot me a pm of what ya want for it