1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved X axis issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stepper, May 29, 2017.

1. Stepper

Stepper New Member

So, I corrected the position of the limit switches. Things are much better but the printer still prints 1/8" in the air...

While I was messing with the settings, I run into auto leveling which asked me to place a piece of paper on the bed and adjust the Z axis until it touched it and got resistance.

Then I got a box telling me to remove G29 from the start G-code but the printer still prints in the air.

IMG_7331.JPG

Also, I don't see the print leveling in the machine setting menu under printer. where did it go? How can I restore it?

IMG_7329.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't trust Matter control for leveling purposes. At first glance it looks like you need to define a offset after the Z if your M565 line and then put the G29 back in there.

If your to high at 0 (not suprising most are) try Z -.9, to high still try Z -.85, to high still try Z -.80. If you keep going that way you'll get very close to that sweet spot then you can dial it in from there. Every machines Z offset will be different. One of mine was Z-.73 the other was Z -.45. It just works that way :D

edit: an 1/8 of an inch still seems quite high but try the offsets first and let us know how you get along.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are two ways to do the automatic bed leveling.
    1) The host software (i.e. matter control) can do a leveling procedure and adjust your generated GCode
    2) the printer firmware can do it.

I prefer to use #2 as it is software independent. You might be trying to do #1 and in that case someone else who is more experienced with mattercontrol will need to assist you

4. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Thank you for your help!
    I finally printed my first part yesterday (from the library). I had to set the Z offset value to -1 or so.

Some small issues: the PLA filament came out of the extruder die sort of wavy so instead of creating smooth straight layers, the first deposited layers were curly and the base of the object look strange (see picture). Is that normal? Is that due to micro clogs in the extruders (as I read online)?

I tried to print the small cube. The base is not good but the rest worked ok.
    IMG_7376.JPG

Here the first few of layers of the hair comb. You can see how PLA exits curly from the nozzle.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also you should start new threads for new problems. This is not a X axis issue.

Geof likes this.
  7. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Got it, thanks!

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

The cube almost looks like a Raft was used? Otherwise you need to lower your Z-Offset so the Nozzle is closer to the bed for the first layer.