1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved X axis issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stepper, May 29, 2017.

1. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Hello Forum,
    This is my first 3D printer and I am experience a problem from the start before I could print any object. I am a true beginner. It is the first time we use the printer. The Z and Y axes move as supposed which mean that the associated stepper motors work fine: I can move the bed back and forth (Y axis) and the extruder up and down (Z axis) from the control panel but the extruder does not move side to side at all (X axis). The X- and X+ in the control panel are both grey and nothing happens when I press them. When trying to print an object, the printer simply goes back and forth (bed moves back and forth) and everything gets printed on a blobby line...

What can I check? Is it possible that some wire is not connected or is connected incorrectly?

The stepper motor responsible for the X-axis is the one mounted with the extruder, correct? Could that motor be broken?

I see a small white connector not plugged anywhere. What is that connector for?

Is there a detailed user manual somewhere online showing all the ROBO printer's parts, i.e. each stepper motors part, etc.?

Stepper

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. There is one motor that controls the x axis. It's on the right of the machine. Please check to make sure the wires are plugged in and on the left side is a x axis switch with 2 wires going to it. Please attach a photo of how its hooked up

Edit : the small white connector goes to that x axis motor (spoiler) :D

3. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Thank you for your help. Here some pictures:

1) Picture 7725: this picture should show the x-axis motor (as you indicated) and the white connector. I will look more carefully but I don't see where this connector would connect...

3) Pictures 7274 and 7279: this stepper motor is for the z-axis, correct? the y-axis motors are located below the bed. Where is the stepper motor driver (small chip) for this stepper motor? Is it visible from the pictures?

3) Picture 7277: how high should the motor be from bed? Is there a prescribed height?

Thank you again!
    Stepper

Attached Files:

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

1. The connector plus into a small square socket on the stepper motor. On the X axis this is usually (they arnt all put togather in the same orientation) in the worst possible spot on the underside of the motor towards the rear (non pulley side)

3(2). Yes those are your z axis threaded rods and couplers, the y axis is under the printer (the motor for the Z are as well). The stepper driver is attached to the arduino/ramps boards (you have to put the printer on its side and take the bottom cover off to see those

3. The motor your talking about (x axis) travels up and down with the z axis. :D no set height, just along for the ride to drive the carriage (printers hotend set up) around.

In looking at your picture it looks like your autolevel switch is out place and the x axis motor needs plugged in

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Take the cover off or you will not be able to reconnect the stepper.

Yep. Both of those switches (left and right) should be up against the crossbar.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

not with that attitude you cant ;) :p lol

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ha! OK, it will be far more difficult with the cover on :)

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL! I rarely take the cover off (unless a full rebuild). It can be done but yes ...sucks hard lol :D

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I rarely (OK, NEVER) have the cover ON.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats cheating ;) Makes everything to easy

11. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Thank you Geoff and Mark.

I guess the two autolevel switches you are referring to are the red and black vertical wires connected to the stepper motor in figure 7277 and you are say they dont look like they are pushed in (i.e. pushed upward) completely, correct?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should both be pushed up against the bottom of the cross-bar.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the physical switch and mount, not the wires :D. I'm betting the other side is correct if you can snap a picture for us we can tell you then you'll want to loosen the screw on that mount (around the nut that goes up and down the threaded rod) and reposition it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Thank you.

1) I have connected the white connector under the stepper motor on the right and now the extruder moves along all three axes. However, when I try printing one of the objects in the library the extruder does not come down close to the bed height and remains up there in the air. Is there a problem with auto-leveling? I think I read I should disable auto-leveling.

Which axis does the stepper motor located where the extruder is move?

2) Also, from the picture below, I think I need to adjust the extruder height so it is even on both sides, correct?

IMG_7322 (2).JPG

What is the orange button below? What does it do?

IMG_7326 (2).JPG

From the picture below, do you think there is a problem with the connector/support (the one with the two wires) under the stepper motor? Should it be oriented in a different way?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That switch is one of the two limit switches and should be under the X axis carriage, not sticking out like it is.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok that orange button is your autolevel switch. Its out of place. You need to correct it, then level the x axis.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, those getting knocked about in shipping is a rather common occurrence :)

18. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Thanks everyone.

Regarding the autolevel orange switch, when should I just press it? Before starting the print? how can I access it if I rotate it under the x-axis carriage?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You don't press the switch, the crossbar takes care of that if it is mounted correctly

#19 mark tomlinson, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  20. Stepper

Stepper New Member

Ok, thanks.

I will turn it to the right (based on the picture) so it is under the x-axis carriage. Once there, it will be pressed by the cross-bar when needed (your point is).

mark tomlinson likes this.