1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Connected to Arduino, but printer not responding to commands

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sir_Kibble, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

Howdy everyone!

I recently changed the arduino shield on my R1+ and edited the firmware accordingly, but now none of the motors respond to commands. Mattercontrol communicates with the arduino fine, but nothing happens when I try to have it do anything. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What did you have to change the arduino for ?

What firmware did you upload ?

Maybe attach some photos ?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or did you change the RAMPS (that is the shield)?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Moved to correct forum

5. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

Yes, I changed the shield to RAMPS 1.4 to go dual extrusion. I uploaded the Robo3d R1+ firmware and modified the configuration.h motherboard value to 34 to reflect the new shield. I've got a fan extender as well and modified the pins.h to have the fan controlled on pin 6. My wiring isn't very pretty, but everything that was plugged into the original shield is plugged into the new on(minus LED lights) and showing properly connected on the multimeter. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The default for Robo is with a RAMPS 1.4 so not sure what you changed it to.
    It comes stock with an Arduino Mega and a rAMPS 1.4. The ramps has some customized connectors, but it is still a RAMPS 1.4

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If all you did was swap the custom RAMPS to a generic one then no firmware edits are needed.

8. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

I'll reflash the stock firmware tomorrow and post back with results. Thanks!

9. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

Okie dokes, so I flashed the stock firmware successfully, but the problem persists. What do you recommend next?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Will you upload pictures of your set up ? If your on the original firmware and the only reason for the change was to open E1, something is not hooked up correctly on the board (some very clear pictures and we can help sort that out)

11. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

interesting. Everything appears hooked up ok that I can tell from the pictures of what is hooked up, though I have never used the extender you are, I just run those items to the powersupply (because their on all the time anyway). Its possible you just got a bad ramps board.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Agreed.
    I had a spell recently where I went through a few bad boards. New, but bad/dead.

Geof likes this.
  14. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

That's what I was afraid of... I'll order a new one and give it a whirl. Should I close this topic out or wait until I get the new board in? Also, am I able to edit my post after closure to link to the new topic should I need to create one for continuity?

Thanks again for your help!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just run with this one since the problem remains the same.

16. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

Got the new board, hooked it up, same result. The new board is advertised as tested so it's got to be something else.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So post a summary of what you have tested, replaced, uploaded and what is not working (be detailed, we are not there to see anything)
    If nothing responds you have a more general failure since not all of the stepper motors or stepper drivers are all going to fail at once.

Temperatures reading OK? Hotend/bed heating correctly?

18. Sir_Kibble

Sir_Kibble New Member

What works: All temperature sensors, Arduino, Heating bed(sort of? Still doesn't turn off), power supply

What doesn't: All steppers, All extruder heaters, All fans besides PSU fan and RAMPS board cooling fan.

I cannot preheat extruders, the bed will heat past any set preheat temperature, attempting to move the printhead around with directional commands does nothing, but attempting to extrude, either direction, will throw an error that cold extrusion is prevented(at least that bit works). Looking at the terminal output, the arduino is acknowledging all commands.

I've tried compiling and uploading both stock firmware and adjusting firmware to support dual extrusion. There's no problem connecting to the arduino and it's responsive to machine code(returns 'ok' codes), it just doesn't do anything.

I don't believe there are any issues with the RAMPS boards, as both old and new exhibit the same behavior.

Unless there is some sort of issue with the arduino to where it can still communicate with the PC and sensors, but unable to send signals to RAMPS, the issue has to be with firmware. I'm not thinking it's a pinout issue, as I don't see how I could have set the heating elements wrong by simply switching the motherboard value from 33 to 34. I've messaged the user who created this guide to get a copy of their firmware, but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Will the steppers be damaged if I reverse the pins and power it on? I was very careful to change everything over to the new board exactly as it was on the old, but I'm out of ideas.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stepper connectors are reversible and if you plug them on backwards they spin backwards.

Geof likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Motherboard types define the pin-outs and the correct one is the one for the Arduino./RAMPS combo. Anything else is a different pin-out at some level and you will be sending incorrect signals to the pins (or no signal at all).

At this point it is still an I/O issue and I would say again that a new RAMPS is no certainty a GOOD RAMPS :) I went through 4 (yep, 4) recently from Amazon Prime sellers just to get one good one (I got refunds). The fact that the RAMPS will not turn OFF the bed heat is the reason I still think that is bad.

That said you may have a bad Arduino rather than the RAMPS --OR-- you have multiple minor failures with both boards. I would suggest one of the All-In-One kits (RAMPS/Arduino/Stepper drivers) just to start with new parts, but however you source them you need to have everything ready. The All-in-One kits are under $40 US from Amazon, not sure how much they are elsewhere.

If you get all new bits you at least have a way to work your way up.

Start by replacing the Ardunio and reloading the (correct) firmware. Assuming you can connect and it appears to be working then add the RAMPS and lastly the stepper drivers.

Geof likes this.