1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How do I reset autolevel memory?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wickemu, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickemu

wickemu Member

I made a dumb mistake with a recent print - right before it started the autolevel, I noticed a lot of filament gumming up on the nozzle. I attempted to pull this off with pliers mid-leveling, and now there are two spots on the autolevel where it "senses" the support and backs up well before actually reaching the bed. I've tried turning it off, unplugging it, etc., but I can't get it to "forget" those erroneous levels and redetermine them automatically. How can I fix this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

==== EEPROM GCodes ====

M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)

So after firmware is fixed (or to reset to defaults) you need the M502 and an M500 at some point

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

enter those codes one at a time (upper case) via the GCode terminal in your software while connected to the printer.

Geof likes this.
  4. wickemu

wickemu Member

So I'm supposed to do M500, then M501, then M502, then M500 again? I tried in both MatterControl and Repetier and it didn't work.

I've attached my EEPROM settings according to Repetier

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I just gave you all of them for reference. I then told you what you needed to do :)

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That screen doesn't even show you the bed leveling data so not much to see there.
    Just do the reset as I described and you will have flushed any old data.

Geof likes this.
  8. wickemu

wickemu Member

Ok, though I could still use some clarification. Is this implying that the firmware needs to be reset by some separate means or that these commands will accomplish that? And "at some point" is vague, are you saying that it's a mistake to do that immediately after doing M502?

Sorry for requesting such specificity, it just isn't working when I follow the directions as I'm interpreting them.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you open up a gcode terminal (as I said originally) and execute the M502 and an M500 your EEPROM settings are then reset to what is in the firmware. Period.

10. wickemu

wickemu Member

Ok, so I have been following the directions correctly - send M502, then send M500, Then send G28 and G29 to test... but that doesn't work. The leveling is unchanged.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Note that these commands do NOT RESET THE FIRMWARE. you can only do that by recompiling it. They reset the EEPROM (flash memory) that the printer uses to store settings. That EEPROM is used to store values that override the firmware defaults.

If you actually edited and re-loaded the firmware with bogus data you need to re-edit and re-upload it with the correct data.

The two commands I gave you will flush the EEPROM and restore any data in it to the defaults in the actual firmware (I.E. As it came to you from the store).

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Why do you think that this would impact the autoleveling? When you run the autoleveling commands (G29) the autoleveing only applies to the current job being printed. If that is not working you have another problem. Pictures or details will help sort it out.

13. wickemu

wickemu Member

Well the title of the post specifically mentioned a perceived autoleveling issue, so it seemed reasonable to assume that your directions were intended to resolve that...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no "autolevel memory" to reset :)

I presumed it was a novice mistake.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are two types of memory in the machine RAM and ROM (flash EPROM, but same difference). There are a lot of settings that can be stored in the flash EPROM to override firmware defaults. the autoleveling grid that is calculated with the G29 is not currently one of those AFAIK.

16. wickemu

wickemu Member

Ok, it looks like the solution was simply to remove the G29 command from my start gcode for the time being and just use G28. The bed's pretty level so the erroneous autoleveling was unnecessary anyway. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your help!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I manually level all of mine too. It is more painful -- once. :)

wickemu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.