1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved advice on troubleshooting extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bultmann, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Bultmann

Bultmann New Member

my extruder quit responding over the weekend...
    when i manually progress the stepper motor (via optoprint or mattercontrol), the arduino flashes 2 red leds, but no noise, no movement.
    so I've done the following
    - swapped out stepper motor - no dice
    - swapped out the wire harness - same result
    - swapped out stepper driver - same

at this point should i assume that the RAMPS board is bad? any diagnostics or other test to run or should i just order a new RAMPS?

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like you covered all the bases.
    You failed to mention the printer, but a beta or R1 can use a standard RAMPS 1.4 while the R1+ needs a custom one from Robo (good luck) or to have a little conversion done to swap back to a standard one.

3. Bultmann

Bultmann New Member

oh thanks -- i definitely missed that point. I have the R1+
    I see that Robo sells the Arduino + RAMPS ($96, yikes) or the Arduino, but not the customized RAMPS. reading through Geof's post, how difficult is the DIY customization?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not really a huge deal since it is entirely just slightly different wiring locations. The R1+ RAMPS uses less connectors and they are renumbered slightly different from a standard one. @Geof can comment on the details, but it is really more of a "landing the wires on the new connectors" effort than it is anything else. All of the same leads are used -- extruder heater power, bed heater power, thermistors, stepper motors, etc. they just (in some cases) go to slightly different connectors. I think he did a pretty good job of documenting it, but he can answer to any questions you have.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, they are not the cheapest answer. A standard RAMPS 1.4 can cost as little as $15. I DO STRONGLY suggest that you buy at least two since they are at that price sometimes prone to defects ... I went through three to get one working earlier this year (got my money back on the dead ones -- thank you Prime) but it is annoying.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Bultmann . The conversion is very easy and I think between the people who have done it and added thoughts on parts that were confusing it has been edited to a very easy how to. Most complex part was making sure you move the wires one at a time from the old ramps to the new ramps so you dont get confused as to what wire is what :D. Easy peasy. Reach out if you run into a snag or have any questions.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Bultmann

Bultmann New Member

excellent advice mark. thanks I'll proceed with amazon route first

Geof likes this.
  8. Bultmann

Bultmann New Member

Thanks @Geof! will do.

Geof likes this.
  9. Bultmann

Bultmann New Member

finally got around to installing new RAMPS. It was fairly easy, and printer is back and working.
    Thanks @Geof, @mark tomlinson

WheresWaldo, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.