1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bent my lead screw :(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by UltimaA380, Oct 30, 2017.

1. UltimaA380

UltimaA380 New Member

HOUSTON HAS A PROBLEM

ROBO3D R1+

So, the printer has been sitting for a while and I decided I'd like to use it again, then while trying I remembered why it was sitting, it would never print properly. It would always jam and I tried everything in the book to try to fix it, gave up and bought a hot end from amazon.

I decided I'd prep the printer for the install so I dissembled some parts, removing the top, removing the carriage and so on. This was done in my room, and one time when I got up my leg hit the z axis rods, broke one of the holders for the smooth shaft and i just hot glued it back. When I installed the new hot end everything seemed well until I started a print I could see the extruder carriage moving kind of side to side, then started a test print and now there was z ribbing in my print, :(.

I printed a threaded rod stabilizer and am now trying to see if it helps, but I'd still rather have it fixed as its probably not going to fix it much.

I should also mention that I'm 15 and with no job cant really afford much of an "upgrade". Thanks :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can replace threaded rods on an R1, but the R1+ uses leadscrews (the rod is integrated into the motor). There is a thread in the Mods section that discusses doing your own leadscrew replacement with some non-Robo provided leadscrews/steppers. That is an option that worst-case means a minor update to the firmware and should not be too expensive.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/alternative-to-the-lead-screw-upgrade-kit.7144/

For free the best you can do is dismount everything from the printer and try to straighten the leadscrew as best you can (without breaking the motor of course).

Geof likes this.
  3. UltimaA380

UltimaA380 New Member

Thanks for your speedy answer, see you everywhere on the forums.

I will definitely try bending the leadscrew back (have a vise I can try to do it with.) but was hoping I could remove the screw from the motor :( guess not.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You actually can with a good bit of effort. I remember a thread where someone actually did replace a leadscrew (but sadly I can't remember if it was here on the Robo forum). It means doing a partial disassembly of the motor ... this might be the thread:

http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printer-Lead-Screw-Upgrade/

Looks like in that thread they are just doing threaded rod swaps ... sorry

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its really not worth the struggle to replace just the lead screw. I'd just order new integrated ones or swap to couplers and leadscrews :D

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

threaded rods :) Not leadscrews. But, you get the idea.

Geof likes this.
  7. UltimaA380

UltimaA380 New Member

Hmm, I watched a video of some one doing it and I'm thinking of doing that now, (although my printed stabilizers might've removed it all together, cant really see with my eyes now, need to do test print :) )

Though, if I was to replace one side, what are the specs and where can I buy one(lead screw)?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No clue.
    Robo hasn't published anything on that and AFAIK attempts that were made to match it were not successful.
    That is why replacing both is easier since you can just get a matching pair.

Geof likes this.
  9. UltimaA380

UltimaA380 New Member

Ok, any suggestions for which to buy?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am pretty sure the OEM lead screw is TR8*4 because when I wrote up the thread on swapping the threaded rods for lead screws I couldn't find any that is why I used TR8*2 lead screws instead. They might be more readily available now.

12. UltimaA380

UltimaA380 New Member

Would this config be what youre talking about?

Attached Files:

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yep those should match the stock Robo leadscrews