1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Octoprint bed off?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

Sorry if this is too silly of a question, but after making sure the printer works correctly via USB with Mattercontrol I am now attempting to get things setup with Octoprint.

The end print is fine, but it seems the boundaries are off. During the calibration process everything is moved up about an inch, so that some of the printing material actually ends up off the heated part of the bed. See the picture attached for details - the red lines are where it starts, versus an inch below.

I only saw a space to define the print area, but not the overall bed points. The file I used was just exported from Mattercontrol and very simple.

Ideas?

Attached Files:

• bed.jpg
      bed.jpg
      File size:
      726.2 KB
      Views:
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can't redefine the autoleveling points (if that is what you mean) since they are defined in the firmware (I guess you could edit them there). However they are based on the default size of the printer and the HOME positions.

If this only happens with OctoPrint then the only explanation is that OctoPrint has the wrong geometry defined for your printer. If it happens on all software then it is just the fact that the heated bed is not aligned center. Don't confuse the markings on the bed for ANYTHING because they are meaningless. The center of the heater pad should be center of the extruder travel...

3. Avrution

Avrution Member

So, having it print outside the white outlines isn't going to be an issue?

The printing isn't ending up centered. Left and right is fine, but up and down aren't (2D wise).

The only other thing I can think of is there is an option for setting the custom bounding box with min/max coordinates, but what those would be for this printer I have no idea.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The printer knows where X0, Y0 is and bases all printing on knowing that fact. setting up a bounding box or trying to adjust the location in software will not result in any improvement in printing nor will it allow the use of the entire printable area. As @mark tomlinson mentioned, just forget about the markings on the glass and just print.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is and has always been a cosmetic issue with the Robo. They designed the pretty pattern for the bed and it ended up usually having no relation to reality after manufacturing...

6. Avrution

Avrution Member

Appreciate the info. Really threw me off after seeing everything perfectly aligned in the Mattercontrol.

I guess the end print is what really matters.

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Graphics, meet reality :)

Geof likes this.