1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Time to replace buildtak ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Feb 3, 2018.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

[​IMG]
    Started to get some warping with PLA. Contacted buildtak and they gave me some suggestions, none of which worked, but wanted to share them here:

This is an indicator that the BuildTak sheet may be starting to wear out but doesn’t necessarily mean the sheet needs to be changed yet - there are several settings tweaks you can make to compensate. First, try increasing first layer height (to as much as 150-200%) and lower first-layer print speed (to as little as 5-10mm/sec). You can also increase bed temperature to as much as 70C for PLA. If you’re still experiencing issues, lower you nozzle height in ~0.05-0.10mm increments until adhesion improves. Nozzle height will generally be the most influential factor affecting first-layer adhesion. Finally, with the geometry of that specific print, you might consider adding either a 5-10 perimeter brim, or manually add lilypads (little circles 1-2 layers high) at the corners, as corners generally like to warp most severely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I get concerned anytime adding heat to the bed for PLA (or other cold-plate filaments) is an answer :)
    I am not saying it is not a workable approach, but there is something else going on so while it may work it is treating a symptom not curing the disease.

3. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

yeah, the Buildtak never exhibited this when it was new, so I think their answer is BS.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you clean it and it still wont stick you can scuff it to promote adhesion. I use a the rough side of a green and yellow kitchen sponge. then clean and test. If that does not work then I sand it to get all the gunk off (fine grit, I think they have a procedure they talk about on their site maybe?) then clean and should be good. If still no...its time to replace. I buy all mine in at least 3 packs on amazon from buildtak (faster, free prime shipping lol).

before you get upset at me :D it does indeed suck when they are finally done. one printer uses a 16x16 buildtak sheet that are around 30 to 35 bucks each....owch.

supercazzola likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Aren't PEI sheets cheaper? I can't find much difference in adhesion between the PEI R2 bed and the BuildTak v2 Bed.

Maybe I am not using them correctly.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

probably? Waiting on a price from @Printed Solid for the big ole bed ;)

reason for the wait...it took forever to get the machine printing correctly after shipping ... loved it so well lol. Now that its being reliable I'll likely do PEI...BUT...there are pros and cons to each. :D