1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ed I would try UBL, think of it as automated MESH and then adjust the mesh created after printing a G26 grid. You can then use M421 to adjust certain points.

2. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

That's what I'm using, UBL. I was hoping that i could just modify a few points after the automatic grid was made, but I guess I will have to go and do the whole thing with feeler gauges. What is so time consuming is that the print head is so far above the table when I go to edit my mesh. I have to spin my finger off to get the print head close to the bed to measure for each mesh point.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, which is it? your previous posts mention MESH and getting stuck in the MESH menu, now you say it is UBL. UBL: should have created the mesh with no interaction. I am completely confused.

Please note that there is UBL and MESH both create a mesh, one automatic the later manual. Please note that I differentiate between leveling methods in all uppercase, and the resulting mesh created in lowercase.

4. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I am using UBL. UBL does it's thing with the automatic mesh and it's not quite right. So I go in and manually enter in the mesh using a feeler gauge. I actually spent over an hour today working on it and now I cannot adjust my z-axis even with the M851 Zx.x command.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

6. XEMA

XEMA New Member

on 1.1.8 (R1+) as well, I can get to the point where I start printing the validation mesh pattern, but the nozzle is too close to the bed. Any ideas how to resolve this?

7. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

What drives me nuts is sometimes Z offset works and sometimes it does not. I'm using 1.1.8 too.

Also, I will spend close to an hour doing manually mesh spinning fingers off, and at some point in time doing it near the end I will go back to the previous point on the bed that I did 45 minutes previously and the values have drastically changed! I do have issues with my front magnets being weak, so my bed could be moving a little bit, but my values are changing by like 2 to 3 mm. Very drastic and I know that my bed has not shifted that much.

8. XEMA

XEMA New Member

You think it would help solve my issue by changing the offset in the firmware? I have tried changing it via the LCD and the m851 command.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Firmware and M851 are exactly the same, but you could put it in the firmware and recompile.

10. XEMA

XEMA New Member

That's what I thought too, I have changed it from the -1.00 all the way to 0, doesn't seem to help. I will try the firmware this time.

11. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Doesn't M851 require a positive number?

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

M851 is weird with UBL, I don't use it, I use Home_Offset (M206 Zn.nnn) instead. Yes M851 should be positive in our case.

13. XEMA

XEMA New Member

What are you using for your values? Somewhere for me to start....

14. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

M206 worked for me to raise my Z finally. I used M206 Z-0.60 in my startup script.

Now I just have to get my bed leveled somehow. I ordered the stock, stronger magnets for the front of my bed direct from Robo. In the meantime I may just try the manual mesh setup again.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

M206 is one of those sticky commands, if you issue an M500 after that it will retain the value in EEPROM, Neodymium magnets come in multiple strengths, the higher the N number the stronger the magnets are look for magnets that are N50 or higher.

16. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

Gotcha and I wanted to thank you for all of your help.

17. Skivholme

Skivholme New Member

Hi,

I have am Robo3d R1 printer and have tried the 1.1.7 firmware from Marlin1_1_7_UBL.rar

When i try to home Z "G28 Z0" the extruder goes down till a couple of mm from the bed and then stops, but the motors keeps buzzing loud as if they are trying to move but can't.

I did not have this problem with the 1.1.4 firmware. I've looked through the Configuration.h file but i'm pretty new to this so i dont know what im looking for.. I've changed DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT and disabled LCD display.

Any suggestions to solve this? :)

And great work by the way!

18. AntiReality

AntiReality New Member

Currently working off of my R1+ with UBL enabled 1.1.7 firmware.

PID tuned the extruder and bed.
    Ive ran a G29 P1, G29 P3 T, G29 F10.0, G29 S1, G29 A and an M500.

Is there anything required to be in the custom startup gcode in print software before initializing a print?

Terminal shows UBL is active on power up loading the stored mesh from slot 1.

Also 100% sure ive got a hot end jam, since im not extruding and the gear is eating my filament. doh Blockage confirmed, luckily able to clear with tweezers. IMG_20180307_214506_01.jpg

#398 AntiReality, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. Skivholme

Skivholme New Member

I modified firmware 1.1.8 to match the settings in firmware version 1.1.4 from this thread, and now i think i got it working. :)

20. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I've had no issues using M851 and a negative number. I too like WW once figure out what offset i need, add it to firmware and recompile.