1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Clogged hot end

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bd182, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Thanks for your patient help.

I already watched that video, but it doesn't tell you how to adjust the switches, only that the switches have to close.

So is this the screw I need to adjust? And if so, was mine put in backwards, because I can't get to the screw head from the bed side. On the right side I see the nut.

LimitSwitch2.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bingo -- That is the one :) Loosen it and the switch will slide up and down on the nut that is on the threaded rod. Tighten it when the switches are closed with the hotend off of the bed.

Geof likes this.
  3. Bd182

Bd182 Member

Yes, but how can I loosen it if the screw head is facing the side of the printer? I would need a screwdriver about 1-1/2" long. Is that correct?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Uh ... you left the cover on? ;)
    Don't be afraid to remove it since it makes getting to everything a LOT easier.

In fact two of mine routinely run with the cover off.

I tend to forget people do use the covers...

Geof likes this.
  5. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I was under the impression that the cover was important to the stability of the printer. It does secure the top ends of the vertical guide rods, and the cable harness going to the print head.

Can I adjust the Z axis by changing the homing offset for the z axis in the Marlin firmware EEPROM settings?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The case matters little and the smooth rods and crossbar are the stability for the Z. The top guides actually add nothing :) I have printed models to the top of the Z and there is no issue doing with without a cover if the rest of the printer is mechanically sound
    But folks wanted them so there you go. Honestly you are better printing the heaver gauge smooth rod bases from thingiverse than using the top clips.

You can adjust the homing offset, but I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Normally when you adjust the Z offset it is for the autoleveling and done via the M565 command with the stock firmware. Otherwise you are only going to be able to do things that globally affect the Z (uniform across the entire plane of the bed). You normally want an offset that gets calculated as part of the generation of the level plane.

If however you simply want a global Z offset then your approach is OK.

Geof likes this.
  7. Bd182

Bd182 Member

After much searching, I found the story of M565. Is this a reasonable solution to my problem?

Issue M565 Zxxx with a value big enough to get the head off my bed little when Home.

Add paper shims between the magnets to raise the bed and get the head to be a thickness of paper off the bed at each corner.

8. Bd182

Bd182 Member

I searched Thingiverse without success. Any chance you remember how to find this part?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member