1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1 + bed not heating up.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Aug 5, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

I checked the underside of the RAMPS board and nothing is shorted. I made sure the MOSFET was not touching another one.. One thing I did notice this time is that I smelled like something was getting hot really fast. (if that makes any sense) Also the heat sink on the MOSFET was stupid hot after only being on for about 30 seconds. So it looks like the RAMPS is just bad?? My new one gets delivered tomorrow... Hopefully that fixes it..

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree -- that is a sign of a bad board. The MOSFET getting super hot, quickly :)

It may be as simple as a bad MOSFET (field-effect transistor) or something in the circuit that triggers it. Either way the cost of the boards make troubleshooting them not cost-effective, I just toss them. I did on one occasion take the time to replace parts and fix it ... that was a waste of 1/2 DAY since far more than just the transistor was bad and I had to track back and fix several components. Don't know about anyone else, but I am worth more than 15 bucks for 1/2 day labor ;)

3. robert albrecht

Well I am keeping this board until my new one gets here tomorrow. So its easier to swap. Then I will return the other one...

4. robert albrecht

I wanted to thank everybody for your help. I got my 2nd RAMPS board in and I am now up and running....

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Great to hear.
    Sad that it took two tries, but that is the way the boards are now unfortunately.