1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Enclosures and overheating

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Timebmb757, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Timebmb757

Timebmb757 New Member

I keep my printer in a cooler area, which gives me serious delamination issues when trying to print in ABS. As far as I can tell, the best solution is to enclose the printer to keep the heat in. My thought would be a pretty simple box enclosure made from MDF with some acrylic windows.

Would I need to worry about overheating the electronics or motors on longer prints? I was thinking about possibly venting the enclosure, but that would create a draft in the enclosure and result in further ABS problems. Has anyone tried a homemade enclosure and had success?

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

So long as the internal temperature does not go above ~40C (maybe 50C at most) you should be okay. Once you reach a certain point, two things can start happening. The steppers in the enclosure can overheat and/or enough heat can trickle down to the arduino and cause components on that to overheat.

If the chamber ever overheating became an issue you could rig up a fan and vent to blow off some of the heat. Kind of like how these temperature controllers work for BBQ.

http://pitmasteriq.com/products/automatic-temperature-control.html

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

My enclosure design does not cover the bottom so it's able to pull in cool air to cool the electronics. Never had heat issues.

The stepper motors are safe till 80C when the magnets begin to demagnetize. But it's hard to get that hot without external heating.