1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved STL file looks fine, but has internal vacancies

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Louis Tiger, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I tried to make a small castle (scaled up by 6x) but even though I thought it was clean there were some vacant areas inside the walls when printing (where the walls met the cylinders).

How do I prevent this from happening (I use blender)
    and is it possible to fix in the slicer engine?

Attached Files:

2. milks

milks Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Netfabb free version has repair tools as well.
    You need to work on the 3D modelling side :)
    I don't use blender so can't really help you there.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a single surface S. Can't print that :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

Oops! Exported the wrong object :p
    This should work: I'll try to get a picture of the problem too.

Attached Files:

6. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I also have a picture of the result:
    IMG_20150729_200837.jpg

As you can see, there are big gaps that compromise the structural integrity.- any way to fix them in netfabb without rebuilding the whole thing?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The problem is that there's a whole bunch of different body parts to that file. It's not combined into a single body.

Try running it through netfabb's online repair tool, or see if @PrintedSolid will run it through netfabb pro

#7 Mike Kelly, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Netfabb free wont fix it. Best bet, recreate it in something other than Blender. Use Blender for what it is good at, making computer screen 3d models, not stuff you want to 3D print. Even something free like 123D Design from Autodesk could reproduce this model in just a few minutes.

Here is my version, didn't measure except for overall dimentions, so it is just a visual representation. took all of 8 minutes in 123D Design.

Attached Files:

9. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I was told that Blender was very good at complex and organic modeling.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is, if your main purpose is animation and computer graphics, Modeling for the real world has different requirements, that is why I suggested something else.

11. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

The reason I like blender is because it allows incredible control of location, size and rotation of objects - I can just put the numbers in and be very precise.

Is there another free graphics program for 3D printing that has the same features?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can do it with Blender (we personally use SolidWorks, but to each their own) however concepts are different between animation and printing.Blender was more pointed towards animation than printing when written.

Here is some reading:
    http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how-to-prepare-your-render-animation-model-for-3d-printing

There are a lot of good resources out there for learning how to model for printing. This covers the basics.

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/prepping_blender_files_for_3d_printing

One last comment on the precision part, too much can be a bad thing. Your printer is only so precise :)

13. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Whenever I'm designing something in Blender to print, I use the boolean modifier a LOT. Just click on the item you want to be the main item, click on the wrench in the bottom part of the rightmost window, and click on boolean, select the item you would like to join/cut/etc and type of operation you would like to perform, then once it looks right, click the Apply button.

A REALLY nice feature about Blender is the "flying" mode. Press Shift+F and then you can use WASD + mouse to move and shift to speed up. I'll always go "inside" of the object that I just performed the boolean operation on and ensure that there is no wall separating the two objects. If there is, hit Tab to go into vertice edit mode and play around with deleting/adding faces until you can see inside of the other object from inside of the base object. Here's some pictures to help make my point more clear. For some reason I can't manage to get a quick visible picture of a good example with the two boxes I was using for the bad example, but here's an example of some cylinders connected to a box that I use for a pegboard mount for the good example. Notice how you can see inside of the cylinders from inside of the cube. This will ensure it prints as one solid piece.

Bad
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good
    [​IMG]

From what I've seen, all of the other forum members use something other than Blender. I only use Blender just because I feel comfortable with it. If you have any problems you can't figure out with the help of google, feel free to drop me a line and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm by no means an expert with Blender, but I do have a good deal of experience with it since I bought my printer in OCT2014.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See now that is some excellent tutorial work :)
    Thanks, hopefully others will benefit from this.

bamhm182 likes this.