1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z Axis Squeak?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Darren Ortego, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Does anyone else have a issue with their Z axis squeaking at the base? It's only when it makes a rapid movement, I tried putting a little wd 40 at the base but this didn't help. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so how did u fix it.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lithium grease.
    WD 40 is not, really, a lubricant.

3. Darren Ortego

Darren Ortego New Member

Gotcha I figured it would at least help a little.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It probably did :)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use WD-40 as a way of removing grease and dirt, then go back over it with a lubricant like lithium spray or superlube

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Guys, are you supposed to just lube the threaded rod or is there something we should also be using on the smooth rods? Also, any lube needed on the gears for the extruder? Just thinking general maintenance. Thanks.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Anything you pour on the smooth shafts will likely get pushed aside from the rubber seals in the LM8UU bearings.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I put some light machine oil (sewing machine oil) on my smooth rods to quiet them up. Same works just as well for the threaded rods

9. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Do you think bar oil would work for this? Mine squeak only when high up. Tried WD40 as well to no avail. Now only if I could figure out this weird Y axis buzz/rattle.

10. Sonny's Robo3D

I use white lithium grease and it has really made the printer a lot quieter.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@NeuralChris WD-40 has so little lubricant in it it is essentially useless for anything other than cleaning parts and collecting dust. Try anything else as it will likely be better.

Probably the reason why it didn't work out for you.

12. danzca6

Make sure things are tightened down appropriately. Don' overtighten your belt tough. I had a buzz/rattle on my y axis and I had my printer apart and took the opportunity to snug up screws and it went away. Can't say what screw(s) did it, but something was too loose. I've heard of some folks here taking screws that screw into metal adding a bit of blue lock tight as well.

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

WD-40 is actually a solvent, so using it as a lubricant is a really bad idea.

You can use it to clean something prior to putting proper lubricant on it, but make sure you wipe all of the residue off because what is actually "lubricating" the area is the dissolved materials the WD-40 eats away at.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As we used to say about stocking the redneck toolbox. If you have two parts stuck that shouldn't be, use WD40. Two parts unstuck that should be, use duct tape. For everything else... there is the hammer.

Don't use WD40 where oil or grease is needed :)

Mike Kelly and Sonny's Robo3D like this.
  15. danzca6

Mark, that is hilarious. I'll have to remember that one.

16. Frankn

Frankn Member

Mine don't squeal. I use Mobile 1 motor oil on both the screw shaft and the smooth guide shaft.
    I apply about 3 drops to each ABOVE the bearing or thread contact area every week. Both shafts slide well.
    I wipe off the shafts before application of the oil. It isn't the cheapest oil, but when you buy a quart, you have a lifetime supply. LOL I also use it on my X carriage shafts, but I lube them on both sides of the bearings. I also use it on the Y shafts, but something down there does 'squeal' during very fast reverse movements. Frank

17. krouton3

krouton3 New Member

also having this issue but im also noticing my right zscrew is the one squeaking as well as wiggling a bit more then the left

18. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

White lithium grease is what the Robo techs swear by and I use. No issues since I started using it. Both lead screws and smooth rods. Last a long time. Machine oil was original suggestion and I believe still in the getting started video. Lithium has worked better for me.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. William Muraski

mine squeaked at first before using anti seize from the auto store on the threaded rod, going on 1 yr since i applied it, still no squeaks.

20. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Good to hear about the anti seize working. It has actual aluminum in it and as it dries over time could present a issue. At least that is what I have found using it as a mechanic for 20 years. At least it would be easy to remove if a problem develops. If it works use it is what I say. Thanks for sharing.