1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print fan not responding to controls

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Thehead, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Thehead

Thehead New Member

Hey all, I just replaced my extruder to the bondtech SR on my R1 Plus, I put everthing together and everything seems to be working properly except for some reason my print fan (the fan that blows on the print) is on at full speed and doesn't respond to controls to turn it off or change the speed at all. I plugged in other fans to see what would happen and it does the same thing. I tried using matter control, S3D and on my display screen and nothing affects the fan speed, I didn't remove the plug at all during the extruder swap which is why I'm super confused why this is happening. I did tweek my stepper drivers for the new extruder stepper.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Likely plugged into the incorrect wires. Only the hotend fan should be on 100% of the time. try swapping then controlling the parts fan.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What terminal on the RAMPS board do you have the parts fan connected to?

4. Thehead

Thehead New Member

So, I found out what happened. The mosfet that controls the fan got shorted out somehow, I must've hit it with the multimeter probe when I was setting the Vout on my stepper controllers. The fan plug was not touched and was working prior so that couldn't have been the issue

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

RAMPS is fairly cheap on like Amazon.
    Or if feeling adventurous then break out the soldering iron and replace the MOSFET :)

Thehead likes this.
  6. Thehead

Thehead New Member

Yeah, I just ordered a few mosfets from digikey, along with some new fancy stepper drivers, the silentstepstick ones that Tom reviewed.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I blew my mosfet for D10 once, replaced it and had to fix the trace on the board. Been working like a champ ever since