1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Changing Z offset on the fly w/ MatterControl

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nic Phillips, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nic Phillips

Nic Phillips New Member

Ok, so this may be a rookie question, but here it goes. How the heck does one adjust the Z offset on the fly during skirt printing when using MatterControl? When I access the "Controls" section of the interface, I can easily move the head up and down the Z-axis using the buttons under the "Movement Control" header or set my initial Z offset using the options under the "Macros" header. But these functions only work prior to beginning a print. As soon as a print is under way, they become grayed out and un-clickable, so I am unable to use them to tweak the offset if the skirt isn't laying down to my liking. Am I missing something super simple here, or does MatterControl lack this capability?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Can't from the PC, needs a LCD controller and Marlin babysteps enabled. Both of which are not default configurations.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Not sure you can do it from software. I recommend an LCD screen and enable baby stepping.

4. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

Since we are on the subject matter, what is the decommended LCD for the Robo?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Geof and Jimmy Husain like this.
  6. Gordon Freeman

you should go to advanced settings, then settings, after that printer then general and if you are in the advanced viewmode, you will see a control called Z Offset

Attached Files:

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

He wanted to adjust it during a print. Once you set the offset and slice it's fixed. You'd need to reslice to adjust it

8. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Simplfy 3d I know lets you adjust on the fly, I use it when I put tape down and don't feel like adjusting the z offset in the startup gcode.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

With just the manual controls? Whenever i tried that it would just move back down on it's next layer because it was actually changing the Z value, unlike baby stepping

10. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I use the .1 buttons, but your probably right, not enough adjustment, but for me when switching to tape its perfect.

11. dgaylord

dgaylord New Member

Just as an update - MatterControl now has Baby Stepping - on the fly adjustment of layer height. Great for getting that first layer to stick just right.

Nic Phillips and Geof like this.
  12. Gordon Freeman

huh, i am now using octoprint... and that i can do baby stepping by doing it my prefered method, (plug-in)

13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Their version of baby-stepping is not the same as Marlin's firmware version of baby-stepping. You can't use MatterControl's version in all printing scenarios, but the Marlin one works regardless of the source of your g-code file. Still it is a nice addition to MatterControl.