1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Extruder won't heat up.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aflickted, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

no just on the side

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That must be the older model mark talked about that needed a rubber boot to hold it in place. I'd suggest the e3dv6 upgrade :) get that hotend sorted :) I'd suppose some very high temp silicone could seal it in there??? @mark tomlinson probably knows much better than I do

3. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

After installing the thermistor in the hole, it is still reading 220 in MC when I start up and only 67F on temp gun. Could it be a software issue? I'm using ROBO3DR1V3

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No not a software / firmware issue. Hardware issue. That is still probably a bad thermistor or a bad wire to it.
    Kapton tape can be used to wrap around the heater block and secure it if you need, but at this point you probably need a new thermistor.

Just make sure you have traced this all the way back to the RAMPS board and that there are no shorted/open circuits in the wires from there to the thermistor.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id agree with mark, hardware. I'd guess since the thermistor ohms what appears ok that it's in the wiring, I think I'd fix up that wiring correctly and see where your at. With the thermistor being held in with tape or a boot I'd hit up printedsolid.com for the E3Dv6 and lcd bundle :)

6. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I unplugged the thermistor from the RAMPS board and ohmed it out at the plug. A different thermistor I added... It ohmed at 104 ohms. I cleaned up the hot end some. Cleaned up all the shotty wiring and its still a no go. I swapped the bed therm with the extruder therm at the ramps board and the bed heated up so its not the spot on the board. Here are pics of how i have the therm sit in the hot end. No tape yet. Cant find any here.

MC is still showing the Extruder temp at 220 and bed temp is working correctly.

Thank you all for the help.

Attached Files:

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's odd. Known good thermistor and ramps= bad heater? @mark tomlinson ?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds more like a faulty RAMPS. If you swap the bed thermistor to the place on the ramps that the extruder thermistor normally lands what does the software think the extruder is reading? Is is STILL 200 or room temp?

9. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Normal reading....
    Hot end room temp reading is 220
    Bed is actual room temp.
    Bed heats up like it should.
    Hot end does not heat at all.

End swapped on Ramps board...

Bed reads 220 room temp but heats up normal [hooked to hot end thermistor on ramps]

Hot end reads room temp but does not heat up at all. [ hooked up to bed thermistor on ramps]

Hope this helps and makes sense.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that makes sense and it is pretty obvious that it is a bad thermistor.
    You verified the board works and if you have checked the wiring from the board to the thermistor is good then that just leaves the thermistor.

Under warranty contact Robo directly from the contact page on their main website. If you are out of warranty I'd suggest replacing it with a metal stud thermistor. They are far less fragile:

https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/screw-on-m3-stud-thermistor

you can get them where ever you like

11. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Even with the bed hooked up on the hot end terminal and it reading 220? It's still the just the thermistor? I can understand the hot end not getting hot plugged into the bed side being the thermistor. But shouldn't the bed be reading the correct temp?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, you need to be more clear. You posts are a bit of a mess.
    If the bed thermistor reads correct hooked up to the bed thermistor connection on the RAMPS and incorrect hooked up to the hotend thermistor connection on the ramps then the RAMPS board is faulty. This also means that if you take the hotend thermistor and connect it to the BED thermistor connection on the RAMPS that it reads room temperature.

If those two statements are TRUE then you have a bad ramps.
    Contact Robo for the replacement part if you are under warranty.

13. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I'm very sorry about the messy posts. I'm trying. I'll try to be more clear but you are close.

Ramps connected normal:

Hot end temp stays at 220 and doesn't heat
    Bed reads normal and heats up
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Ramps swapped over:

Bed reads 220 but heats up
    Hot end reads room temp but won't heat

Hope this helps. Again I appreciate the help. I just want to get all the right parts ordered at once.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, that sounds like a bad RAMPS. The firmware is probably the reason it will not heat if it sees the extruder starting off that high (when you hook it up to the bed thermistor connection it thinks that is the bed so that wouldn't help).

Contact Robo as I said for at least a RAMPS. They may also want to just swap the extruder as well, but at a minimum the HOTEND thermistor channel on that RAMPS is defective. RAMPS issues are rare, but not unheard of.

Geof likes this.
  15. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Thank you @marktomlinson
    What firmware should I be using? I have the firmware version listed in a pervious post. I'm not home now so I can't look. I will go ahead and get a new ramps board.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly what printer version do you have? An R1, an R1+ or an old beta? What upgrades have you added (those matter too).

That is what matters for the firmware (not that this a firmware problem -- I see no evidence of that).

17. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I know it's an R1. I don't know how to check to see if it's a beta or not.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is an R1 then it is not the Beta

That firmware looks fine for an R1. There are no major fixes or differences in any of the firmware versions, all minor tweaks or adjustments due to differences in the printer models.

19. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Update: I replaced the RAMPs board. Still the same problem.

Bed heats up fine. Temp reads 50c on MC and and bed itself
    Hot end wont heat. Temp read 220 on MC and is actually 24c.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you only have so many things that can be the problem you just need to sort out which one it is:
    1) the thermistor itself is bad
    2) the wiring from the RAMPS to the thermistor is bad
    3) the arduino has totally bogus value for the extruder thermistor type in the firmware
    4) the RAMPS is bad

(OK, in really rare cases I guess the arduino could be bad, but that is more likely to result in nothing working not just one bad sensor. )

Also I suppose the software (matter control) could be screwed up (more than it normally is) so try something else (like repetier host) and see if the symptoms are the same.