1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Extruder won't heat up.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aflickted, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It isn't really complicated electronics so just work your way down that list.

2. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Thank you. I will get to work and get back to you.

3. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

OK, so this is where I am at...

New Ramps. no help
    New e3dv6 screw in thermistor. no help
    Repiter Host. No help
    Ran new wire from ramp to thermistor. no help

4. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I think i might be on to something.
    My extruder temp was still at 220c. I figured I would try flashing the board. Tried a few different ones. I ran across one that had this changed...

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo <<<<<<<CHANGED TO 5
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1 //robo

It changed my temp from 220c to 205c. I tried and it let my extruder heat up to a reading of 210 on MC but then i got the error of Extruder MAXTEMP reached. I'm guessing because of the false start temp. It went up to about 500c. It wasnt really that hot though. I could touch it ( after I checked it with temp gun...lol)

So what do you think??
    Software?
    I ordered a new Ardunio board also. Might go ahead get the screw in thermistor too.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, Changing the thermsitor type altered the indicated temperature a bit so that is what I would expect from the firmware.
    The reason you set the type is to make sure the correct calibration/temperature curves are used for that thermistor. If you used the wrong one it would be 'off', but not by 200 deg.

This almost has to be the thermistor, the wiring or the RAMPS and since you said in this post:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/extruder-wont-heat-up.8133/page-2#post-71531

that swapping the thermistor wires (between the bed and hotend) made the problem move (then the BED read 220) It has to be the thermsitor or the wires to the thermisitor. Not complicated :)

A bad connection in the wiring from the RAMPS to the thermistor will cause this. A bad thermistor will cause this.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to accept that this is a simple hardware problem. It is not software. It is not the RAMPS. It is the thermistor or the wires.

I had to go back and re-read the entire thread to get caught up myself :)

Geof likes this.
  7. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Could I have gotten a bad thermistor with my e3d? I did away with the plug that was on my machine and ran the wire straight to the ramps. It ohmed at 101. Thank you for helping me. I'm trying everything you say.

8. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I ohmed it at the connector that plugs into the ramps board, by the way. It wasn't connected to the board. It's the wire (red/black) that came with the ed3.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it reads 101 kohms then it is not likely a bad thermistor. Try reading it while wiggling the wire harness and see if it jumps around.
    You did verify though that swapping the bed thermistor for the extruder thermistor (the connections on the RAMPS) shows the bed reading about room temperature though and the bed now reading high -- correct?

10. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Yes on the old thermistor. Haven't tried that on the new one yet. After replacing everything, I didn't think about it.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Give that try. It will verify if the problem is with the new thermistor or the RAMPS.
    If it works on the bed connection then as odd as that is the RAMPS must be the faulty critter.

Fairly uncommon for the RAMPS or the Arduino boards to be at fault. Not unheard of, but uncommon.

12. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Ok, I swapped the 2. Extruder temp reading 206 and bed temp reading 17.5. That's actual. I didn't heat them up.

That is the swapped reading....

#52 Aflickted, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then as odd as it seems, that must be a problem with the RAMPS. If you just swapped the connectors at the RAMPS that eliminates the thermistor and the wiring as a problem. Bummer. I have not seen that before.

14. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

This is the 3rd ramps I've swapped. Would you think the ardiuno board would be a safe assumption next? 3 boards and same exact problem?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, I can't believe three boards have the exact same issue.
    That boggles the mind :)

I suppose the Arduino could be at fault, but I wouldn't think that would be the only symptom if the Arduino where bad. The RAMPS has 99% of the I/O for the Arduino on it and given the symptoms I would realistically expect the RAMPS to be faulty (once we ruled out the the most common fault -- the wiring and the thermistor).

If you have and arduino to swap in it couldn't hurt for testing. You will need to reload the firmware once you replace the arduino (just FYI).

16. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I ordered one. It will be here Friday. I'm just so lost. Lol. I just don't know what to do. I'm about ready to make a boat anchor.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well good luck. I really am not convinced the arduino will be the culprit. I'd personally suspect the RAMPS like I said, but if you have gone through 3 already you either have the worlds worst luck on replacement parts or it is not the RAMPS.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hang in there buddy. Machines can drive ya nuts lol

19. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Yeah. It would be odd as hell to have 3 differnt boards with the same problem. Maybe jumpers?Since I put them in the same spot? I'm grasping at straws.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are jumpers on them but they are for controlling the stepper drivers (# of steps).
    There is nothing on there in terms of jumpers for the thermistor.
    As long as you are landing the connector on the right spot it either works or doesn't (thermistor type matters for calibration curve to get a more correct reading).