1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How does the auto bed leveling work, whats supposed to move?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robocad, Apr 16, 2016.

1. robocad

robocad Member

It does the 9 point calibration but i dont see the means by which the bed moves to level itself, or really any adjustments happening at all.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The bed does not do the leveling, the extruder does.

Some generic info over here:

http://3dprintboard.com/archive/index.php/t-6178.html

Basically it samples the bed (by using the extruder as the 'probe') and then calculates a mathematical plane that covers the entire bed with the adjustments it thinks it needs from the 9-point sample (plus the predefined Z offset you do with the M565). It then applies that correction across the points as it prints. All done in the firmware on the printer.

3. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Auto leveling is more like auto correction/compensation.

4. robocad

robocad Member

I still dont follow, how is the extruder being adjusted? I dont see the vertical screw rails moving any differently.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@robocad you do realise there are 3200 (200 steps x 16 divisions) microsteps for an entire single revolution of the stepper motor shaft. So it could make even larger adjustments without you 'seeing' it move.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You won't

Once it does the auto leveling dance (with the Z offset correctly defined in the startup gcode) it will automatically go to the correct height and print away. Like I said, all math. You can't see it calculating :)

7. robocad

robocad Member

No i didnt, but if the autobedleveling worked to the precision as you are describing then why am i having this problem printing a single solid sheet?

http://imgur.com/nevn5f0

The top corner is where it starts and prints solid but the then it starts to print the lines apart from eachother as if the bed is tilted away from the extruder.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. robocad

robocad Member

Thanks, i followed this to where the g92 code was +/- 0.2mm on all axes which vastly improved the print however there still is a spot where it thins out near the end of the print, what else can i do? Is it not possible to print a solid single layer sheet?

http://imgur.com/vdPq4tz

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I shimmed my bed and used an indicator to measure flat (shims under the appropriate magnets). Then paper leveled and off to the races