1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Calibrating seems to be off on Y axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Glass, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Jeff Ortakales

Jeff Ortakales New Member

@WheresWaldo

Thank you for the response. That was very helpful and makes a lot of sense. I was in deed referring to the cork taped over the heater but I guess that was a bad assumption.

In order to eliminate the grinding, is it possible to override how far the Robo thinks the bed can move? It sounds like you're saying that it always knows where the Y0 is but that the Y0 is wrong because it thinks the bed is bigger than it actually is. As you say, there is a physical switch that the bed could not go past so this switch must be installed in the wrong location (or disconnected, faulty, etc.) then for it to enable motor grinding, right? If it were actually hitting the limit switch, then it would be electrically impossible for the motors to keep going.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, it always knows where Y0 (or X or Z) is because there is a physical switch that gets triggered to tell it "HOME"
    It knows how big the Y axis is (lets say 240mm) So Y max = Y HOME (the switch) + 240mm of steps

If something is in the way and causes the switch to get triggered incorrectly (like a wire) then that would be a problem.
    If something is in the way of the bed travelling the full Y distance (like a wire) then it will grind when it is forced to stop too soon.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Actually @Jeff Ortakales It always knows where Y0 is and that is the only location guaranteed. It is Y_MAX_POS that is incorrect. It is simply too big. Note Robo says Y_MAX_POS is 254. You can determine this for yourself by doing the following in a terminal screen.
    Code:
    G28 Y
    G1 Y200
    G1 Y220
    G1 Y225
    G1 Y230
    Keep moving it a few mm until it stops and starts to grind. Then you will know exactly how big the bed is in the Y axis. I think you will be surprised to find that Y probably only moves to about 235 mm. That is about 19 mm shorter than the claimed 254 mm and would move the mathematical center forward about 9.5 mm if the correct number were in place. Just as an FYI my Robo is fine at Y236 and grinds at Y237.

You can do the same thing for X, and you will see a similar discrepancy (marketing vs. reality).
    You can do the same thing for Z, and you will see a similar discrepancy (marketing vs. reality).

Once you change it to the correct values, Marlin then knows exactly how big the bed is. But that is only half the issue. Your slicer needs to know the accurate dimensions also. So you need to go into the slicer's printer profile and change the dimensions there to the ones you discovered in your test. Only then will the Robo center prints in the proper location.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Jeff Ortakales

5. Jeff Ortakales

Okay, so after going in and doing this I found that it doesn't seem to grind until Y247. So where do I actually go in and change this for both the program and the slicer?

Just one other note, I did this three times and the first time it was Y251 and the second two times it was Y247. Not sure why it changed.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Jeff Ortakales

Marlin in Configuration.h lines that read:
    Code:
    // Travel limits after homing
    #define X_MAX_POS 240
    #define X_MIN_POS 0
    #define Y_MAX_POS 254
    #define Y_MIN_POS 0
    #define Z_MAX_POS 240
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0
    Of course you just measured Y, the minimum will always be 0 but the maximum will now be 247 (I would err on the side of caution and maybe make it 246, 2 mm won't make much difference).

I don't know what slicer you use so I can't help you there, but it is usually in printer configuration.

7. Jeff Ortakales

Okay thanks. I'm just using MatterControl for now so I guess it would just be the Bed Size setting under the Printer tab?

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

9. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

So what is the actual solution here? I'm printing a large print and since part of it prints out of the heated area, eventually it starts pulling up from the bed in this area and I have to stop printing. I thought it was a temperature issue, but wasn't really paying attention to the fact that it was printing out side of the headed bed zone. I guess I didn't think it would have made that big of a deal, but it does. When I first bought the printer it would stay within the "lines" but now it's about an inch further back than it used to be.

I'd really like to resolve this if anybody has any suggestions.

I use matter control and have the Robo 3D R1+ printer.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

?Lines?

If you mean the actual heated area, OK, if you mean the graphic on the build plate -- it is meaningless. A pretty design graphic, not indicative of where the heater actually is mounted on any one machine. If they meant for it to be, then it is a manufacturing fail because it seldom lines up with anything :)

Will your large part fit completely over the heated area or does some of it overhang regardless of placement? You can look under the bed ad see where the heater pad is physically mounted and make a note of it. Then center you model on it.

You can control with most all software exactly where the model is placed on the bed so making sure it is placed center of the heated area is what you would do.

Even then, in all fairness, if bed heat is really critical you may have issues because the style of bed heater we have is not the best. You may find the heat is uneven across the bed by some degrees. In the center of the heater (or close to the thermistor) it will be what you set it at, but it will fall off quickly around the edges.