1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved I think I've killed it!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Lockwood, Jun 6, 2016.

1. David Lockwood

Having just installed a new LCD controller I thought I'd give it a try. These things should have a warning label! I was using the hoopy control to wiz along the three axes. I got carried away on the Z axis and raised it to the point where it made an ungodly racket so I shut it off. Now my X axis is off the beam. On the right hand side (on the side with the USB connector) There is a brass bolt that rides on the drive screw. This is associated with the limit switch. Well, there is a plastic hook that engages with the switch assembly. This has come unhooked and the brass bolt does not want to go into the plastic part so it can engage. Photos at https://goo.gl/photos/zBRyFsjuvNsqntMH8

TomerO likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is a phillips screw with a nut on the other side on the switch mount. Take that loose and slide the mount back over the brass nut :) then you should be able to get the x back on. Then do a paper level square up the x axis switches and try a print

mark tomlinson and KTMDirtFace like this.
  3. TomerO

TomerO Member

I fucked up my axis the same way you did on my first day with the printer. Just popped it back to place, but listen to geof

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Yep I made this same mistake, when I first got the printer. Thought I would test out how high it will travel (clicked the jog button way too many times when "trying" to figure out MatterControl lol :D) and found out there is not a stop up there! I was able to turn the 2 lead screws until it started to move downwards. Needless to say my leveling was way off!

I am not sure, as I have not tested (don't want to re-level), but with the minor changes they made to their "updated" firmware, when the printer is homed, the firmware will not allow it to travel past Zero anymore. I don't know if this works the same for when it tries to reach its max? @danzca6 @WheresWaldo started talking about the changes in this thread: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/r1-firmware-v2-whats-changed.8400/

JoeCarson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nope. Only endstop switches are at 'home'.
    The slicer software will not go past MAX on any axis (based on the configured size) but manually... you are in control.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

@mark tomlinson Thanks for clarifying that! I kinda figured we were on our own when jogging manually inside the slicer of choice. But when I jog with my LCD Controller, will it move past the max dimensions, specified in the firmware, after homing?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep. Manual control is manual control regardless of whether the steering wheel is software or the LCD :)
    The firmware is not engaged in that case.

@WheresWaldo can perhaps confirm, but if memory serves the size of the bed/geometry in the firmware is used for the autoleveling pattern calculation and maybe a couple of other things.
    It is not meant to limit you ...

#7 mark tomlinson, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just another example of how uncomplicated the printer is. It really is a rather simple device once you get familiar with it.
    That has advantages and disadvantages ... rough on people just starting out.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Bed size is used for auto-level only. It can be used for software endstops also, but I recall that functionality is not enabled in any version of the Robo firmware. All control of movement is left to the discretion of the slicer in use. Just an FYI the bed build area is not 240 mm wide nor is it 254 mm long and the limit of the Z axis is also a bit less than 240 mm. It makes sense to adjust it based on actual measurements so that your slicer can center objects correctly on the bed and not allow you to print past the physical limits of the printer.