1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bug: R1+ Firmware V2 print without PC, loss heat issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 3d_dan, Jun 27, 2016.

1. 3d_dan

3d_dan New Member

I've updated my Robo R1 plus to V2 firmware from :
    http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

I wanted to print without a computer attached, so I name my gcode file robo.gcode in the SDCARD and follow firmware notes to print.

First issue I have with this is lost of bed heat after first layer. A work around is to set a different temp for 1st layer and other layers in Slic3r. If set to same temp, Slic3r will not issue 2nd bed heat command since it's still the same temp as first layer. However, if print without computer, somehow bed temp gets over written.

Second issue is similar to the first except it's the hot end temp get over written. After initial prints before finishing first layer, hot end loss heat. I haven't figure out a workaround for this!

If I print the same robo.gcode file from sdcard but issue with a computer, then everything works fine. It's the auto print without using a computer that have this bug. Anyone notice this? Any workaround for 2nd issue?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You should report this to Robo technical support. They are the ones that modified the firmware code and may know why it behaves this way or can verify it's behavior.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi sorry i dont use the sd slot.on the robo. I bought an lcd controller (cheap great mod) . It seems like some odd issues that woukd make me think slicer settings. I use s3d not slicer so i wont be much help on that front.

Edit: i just started to run v2 myself yesterday and no issues but like said above i dont use their sd slot.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just to be clear, the only difference between V1 and V2 is that Robo added some code to handle robo.cgode. It is still Marlin 1.0.0. There is additional code in there that @daniel871 looked at and believes is either incomplete or poorly coded that may cause issues in certain circumstances. That may contribute to the issue. My opinion was that with that undocumented code change that V2 was risky at the least and not a worthwhile upgrade. There was no other added functionality included in this version.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, for the price of the cheap LCD controllers, you are better off investing in one of them if you need to print disconnected.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the firmware update Robo put out turned out to basically be a bunch of garbage code that could cause issues if you were intending to run a really long program that had some ending G-code that triggered the firmware scripting to run robo.gcode if there happened to also be a file by that name on the card.

It's a needlessly complicated way of running untethered vs. the original method (load a program on the SD card, have your PC-based slicer/controller tell the printer to run the program on the card, then disconnect from PC--substitute an Android phone with the GCodePrintr app as needed with the same steps).

Nothing of note was added and all of the work you've already done in the unofficial firmware thread far surpasses what Robo is doing in their official stuff.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given that the Robo folks do not seem to be software savvy...
    More H/W focused (and that is fine).

I agree that if you want more firmware features moving up to a more recent label of Marlin is a better choice.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well thanks for the praise, but my intent wasn't to promote Marlin 1.1.0 it was to suggest there was no need to move to what Robo called V2 (still Marlin 1.0.0). Not everyone wants to be on the bleeding edge.

And many would think that Robo would know best since it is their printer after all, but as @mark tomlinson mentions they are more hardware focused and have not produced a single software or firmware item on their own. Changing configuration files does not count as software development. This last statement applies to me also.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but you at least proof-read and do a better job of making guide notes for the people that want to experiment with the latest firmware versions out there.

Robo doesn't even do that much when they roll out a firmware update (I hear about them via someone on the shoutbox noticing that the page was updated as opposed to an announcement of any kind from Robo3d).

10. 3d_dan

3d_dan New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I did order a LCD controller but haven't received it yet. I guess I'll roll back to V1 or latest Marlin firmware. As for V2 with robo.gcode, the heating issues comes and goes. With same slic3r settings, some object gcode will cause heat issue and some do not... very odd.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im running v2 with no issues. Interested to see what comes out

12. 3d_dan

3d_dan New Member

What are some new features with Marlin 1.1.0 vs Marlin 1.0.0 for Robo 3D?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member