1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Broken Feed Bearing Mount

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jaws2002, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaws2002

jaws2002 New Member

Well, the fun never ends with this thing. I knew there was going to be a learning curve, and I would need to be replacing parts and fixing things, but I did not expect so much of it so soon. Well I just got my printer printing pretty good finally, and when I went to change the filament, the little lever that you push back on to release it broke right on off. I need to request a new one, but have no idea what its called. Im gonna try to super glue it in the mean time, and maybe I can print a replacement if it holds up and I can find the part.
    I was just hoping one of you guys on here could tell me what its called so I dont have to call it the filament clippy thingy.
    Thanks,
    Mike FilamentClipThingy.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would call that the filament feed bearing mount for the Gregs Wade extruder.

(that has got to be close) :)

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

My paranoia is going to get me printing a ton of replacement parts now that you uploaded the solid models.

Could have had some water in one batch of parts. Wet plastic wrecks havoc on injection molded stuff too. Makes it all really brittle.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. jaws2002

jaws2002 New Member

Something was definitely up with the plastic. My springs were not tightened very much, and I wasn't putting much force on it when it broke. Thanks for the link to the parts. Im hoping the superglued part can hang on long enough to print a replacement. How much pressure does it really need to have on it to be able to print? Do you think it will work ok if its just barely tightened?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It needs to press the filament to the hobb, but even at max pressure from the springs it doesn't have a lot of stress

7. jaws2002

jaws2002 New Member

Thats what I was hoping. Im gonna give the super glued part a try as soon as its dry.
    Thanks

8. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

I wouldn't bother with the super glue. What I would do is get a couple of washers just big enough to get at least 2/3s contact with the "hinge" Feed in your filament first then put your springs in with the washers against the plastic broken part. That will last plenty long enough to print a new part.

9. jaws2002

jaws2002 New Member

Thank you so much for the suggestion. It seems to be working just fine with the washers, my replacement part is printing as I type this.

10. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

NP, glad to help.

11. jaws2002

jaws2002 New Member

Woot! The replacement feed bearing mount is done and installed. Fits perfectly and actually feels stronger than the original part, or maybe I just want to think that. In any case, if anyone is wondering, I printed it at 0.3mm layer height, at 80% infill in simplify3d. It came out practically solid. I did have to file down the channel where the bearing sits a little bit, but not much. Thanks again for all the help.

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Self-repairing machines :)
    (well, with a little help from the human)

13. pat sommer

pat sommer New Member

hi sorry to revive an old thread, my part just broke as well, it's the whole back hinge, basically where the pivot point is.
    im currently holding it together with zip ties, but im not getting good print results. it seems maybe not as much filament is going through as it should, so the print is coming out 'airy', layers are not bonding, and its very brittle.
    I don't quite follow the washer instructions, can someone elaborate please? thanks!

Attached Files:

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont understand the washer thing but super glue then print slow. :) should get you a functional item then you can make a pretty one.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe i get it...use a washer that when everything is screwed down will hold the broken parts togather...makes sense. Super glue is easier :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.