1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Anyone know what this hardware error pop up means?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RyeMAC3, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

Huh, so this is weird. I swapped thermistor positions on the RAMPS board and the bed still reads 21.9C. So the new thermistor I installed is OK. The bed thermistor that is now connected to where the hotend thermistor goes is now reading 85.9C. What does that mean? Something on the RAMPS board has blown/gone bad?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the thermistor input channel on the RAMPS is toast.
    A new RAMPS is cheap if you have an R1.
    If you have the R1+ you need to get it from Robo directly.

@Geof has a thread about converting the custom RAMPS in the R1+ to a standard one if you want.

Geof likes this.
  3. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

Dang, that stinks. I guess I'll have to pick up a new board. Thanks for all the help.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I guess if you were a software goober* (like me) and adventurous you could move it to the third thermistor channel and recode the firmware to use that :)

... but a new board is way easier ...

*even I am not that adventurous

5. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I'm actually going to have a go at doing that. I'm an Arduino guy, so it should be easy to do now that I've taken a look at this board and know what I'm up against.

I also have a spare Mega that I can pop on the board and see if that does the trick. I'm thinking the RAMPS board might be ok because I'm not really seeing much in terms of electronics on here. I don't see anything around the header that looks like it's blown. I might just connect my Mega and see if it works. If it doesn't, then it's definitely the RAMPS board that's somehow toast.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is a good idea. It could be the analog channel on the Arduino that is fried, there is some buffering/routing on the RAMPS, but mostly it provides the physical interface and breakout for all of the I/O.

Converts it from real world/12v logic to the CMOS levels the Arduino wants.

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Sounds very familiar!
    I had a similar issue going where my COLD hotend thermister read 230c.
    Turned out to be the Arduino.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Let us know what you find out.

9. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I installed a new EPCOS 100k thermistor and swapped out the stock Arduino with a new Mega. It works now. The extruder thermistor now reads 25C at room temperature. The one strange thing is that the first print job I printed stopped right after the bed-leveling routine. I checked the log and it had the same hardware error as before. I cleared the error, power-cycled the printer, and started again.

It's now printing, so I hope all is good. I'll just have to do a few more prints and keep my eye on it. I really hope I fixed it this time. I can't imagine what else it could be other than replacing the RAMPS board.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.