1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved A few quick questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GucasLuthrie, Aug 25, 2016.

1. GucasLuthrie

GucasLuthrie New Member

Hey guys I have a small handful of questions. First off I know that bridging is hard but whenever I i print the slightest overhang it droops and if i try to print even a small bridge it dosent work at all. Secondly every time the printer moves up a layer it leaves a little bubble. I included some pictures showing what I mean :p[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bridging has three basic components.

1) How fast the extruder moves when creating the bridge.
    2) How much cooling the filament gets when creating the bridge.
    3) How the slicer patterns the movements around the bridge.

The filament type matters since they react differently as well.

Some slicers have other tweaks they add (bridging extrusion multiplier, bridging speed multiplier)

You don't mention any of these details, but usually trying another slicer is a good start or adjusting the slicer settings around bridging moves.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Mark is correct. We need some more detail.

What filament?
    What slicer?
    What temp?
    What speed?
    What layer height?
    Have you calibrated your extrusion?
    Single or dual part cooling fans?

These all have a part in print quality when it comes to bridges and overhangs. It's mostly just a job of dialing things in.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

With my personal experience, definitely turn off the bed heat if using PLA layers before the bridge to allow it too completely cool down. Dual Cooling fans are almost a must to achieve good results. From my understanding, you actually want to "stretch" the filament across the bridge, which lead me to keeping the same extrusion rate but increasing the Bridging Speed Multiplier (settings in S3D). Not sure which slicer you are using. But you will want to view the layers before printing so you can see what it's going to do at the bridge. I believe some slicers only like to bridge one direction, so you may need to rotate your model to make it easier. Make sure you have an extra inflation distance specified, so it travels past the actual bridge and onto a previous layer to help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. GucasLuthrie

GucasLuthrie New Member

Im using Im using
    Hatchbox PLA
    Mattercontrol
    between 190 and 200 for the extruder and 50 for the bed
    I have similar results between .3mm and .1mm
    What exactly do you mean calibrated my extrusion?
    Single, my 3d printer is stock

6. danzca6

This might be one of the most linked to videos on this forum. :) Here is how you can calibrate the extruder so you aren't over or under extruding.

#6 danzca6, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Geof and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  7. danzca6

#7 danzca6, Aug 25, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Dual Fans is an excellent and easy upgrade, and like I said previously almost a must for Bridging. This is the setup I used: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1037680

There are also shrouds that just snap into place with no tear down required.

LOL Tom's video is all over this Forum! Someone should create a sticky instead, to include but definitely not limited to:

Extruder Calibration Steps (Tom's video)
    Firmware Changes (actual bed size, max bed temp, Acceleration Settings, XY Jerk, etc)
    Process of Elimination for Stepper Motor/Driver Issues (Swap Motors, Swap Drivers, Calibrate Drivers)
    Common Issues to check first (different slicer, screws, belts, hubs, bearings, wires, etc)
    Wiring Diagrams/Pictures for all Connections (Ramps, Endstops, Connectors at the X-Carriage)

Might be too much for one sticky! Then we can just send everyone to that Thread and all the information is there? Thinking out loud again!

9. danzca6

I hear there is a FAQ in the works.

10. GucasLuthrie

GucasLuthrie New Member

I have done that already btw :)

#10 GucasLuthrie, Aug 25, 2016
    danzca6 likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yessir still in the works.

12. GucasLuthrie

GucasLuthrie New Member

apperently its extruding while moving over gaps? take a look[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. danzca6

So that is a lot of stringing. Did you use any supports to bridge with? Looks like it needs it.

#13 danzca6, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Also - I would tweak temp first and then retraction. For temp, play around a little, but you basically want the temp as low as you can get and still get proper extrusion. For some of my filaments that's 188 or so. I almost never print above 195 using my current filament. Again - those numbers are printer and filament specific, but the point is to make sure you are not printing too hot. Then, once at the proper temp, you adjust the retraction to take care of the rest of the stringing.

Rigmarol likes this.
  15. danzca6

actually you might have a little more luck with that model flipping it over. The curve looks like it might be enough not to need supports if you print it in that orientation. I think that is most of the issue because bridging on a curve...well that just doesn't work very well as you found out. A straight line, yeah with the correct temp like Toro mentioned, dual cooling fans, and a couple other tweaks it bridges like a boss.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@danzca6 I wouldn't flip that model over, but for some reason the slicer (MC from the pictures) does not think this model is watertight and the toolhead is going straight across on one particular level. At least that is what I see in the picture.

@GucasLuthrie I would run the model through NETFABB repair, you can use their Azure online tool so you don't actually have to install it and see if that "fixes" the model before slicing. https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net

If all you use NETFABB for is repairing models there is just no need to install it locally.

Rigmarol, Geof, danzca6 and 1 other person like this.