1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Completely Frustrated With my R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sekwel, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Sekwel

Sekwel New Member

I'll preface this by saying that I know I'm well outside of my warranty period, and that I'm familiar with the return policy and I know that as per that I'm not entitled to anything.

But this printer has been nothing but Hell since I got it around a year ago -- I'm no stranger to proper maintenance and the work that goes along with these types of machines. Through normal use, components have gone up. Support was good with responding to those requests while they were obligated to, though the RAMPS board replacement I received just before I fell outside of the period didn't work any better than the one that failed on me before.

Since then, I've been left to fend for myself. I've been no stranger to messing around with this machine. Third party components have of course not been very useful. Even the replacement RAMPS setup that I just purchased a few weeks ago has gone up; same old problem wherein the power connectors have melted despite proper cooling and the like.

I've gotten to use the printer for maybe a fourth of the time I've owned it, and I've gotten to enjoy the thing for much less time. I have completely torn it down and rebuilt it several times over that period of time -- the most recent attempt included fresh wire and either stock parts or parts or official replacements.

I'm not doing more than venting frustration here. But I do think it needs to be said; the printer was around $850 when I bought it. I've spent at least half that much in trying to keep the thing alive. At that point, I would have been better off going with a competing brand.

Tl,dr: I'm not sure what I think I'm accomplishing by complaining here, but I think I'm about done with this brand.

#1 Sekwel, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Sekel, So sorry to hear 'bout the issues............If you have a voltmeter, I would first check the Power Supply voltage...maybe that supply is too high, defective or spiking killing parts...which you would not see with a meter.....anyways Bro...hang in there....

3. Sekwel

Sekwel New Member

Thanks for the tip. I think the PSU is about the only thing I haven't tested at one point or another so I will certainly give it a look when I can get around to it. If for nothing else than to shed some light on my difficulties.

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Hey you can always ask for help in the forum. We have a good group here still that can help troubleshoot things with you. And even though you were out of warranty, I would imagine Robo would have continued to work with you since it was an issue they started to help with prior to your warranty expiring and their fixes weren't working. I've always found that it never hurts to ask. I've been surprised often by responses from companies when continuing to have issues after warranty periods are up.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Anything is possible :)
    In this price range most of them use similar if not identical technology.
    You can expect that some have better support (and some far, far worse).

The advantage to the Robo (opinion alert!) is that it is all open hardware and (almost completely) standard (and cheap) parts.

You can re-gut the entire electronics for $30 or less and a P/S for the same. All the steppers for the same (all that is left is the plastic parts).
    It is very frustrating for the new user (and the other folks in the community who try to help new users) that the quality and condition of a printer than ends up on your table can vary so much. Sure, shipping is harsh and is partly to blame, but the rest is just bad/defective parts usually.

Like @danzca6 says -- if you want to figure it out and are willing to do the work we can get you where you have a working machine.

6. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Cant's agree more with Mark and Danzca. The folks here - including those two gents - are awesome!

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Sekwel I had a similar issue. Is it melting on just one pin all the time? I had the same issue and replaced the ramps, power supply and wiring from power supply to the ramps board. Hang in there buddy it is most defianently fixable. Could you share some photos of what you currently are seeing so we can see? Also....I hate to admit it but I didn't have a good connection and melted out a connector on the ramps board (12V side)...since then I have done away with the tinned wires and connectors and used just the stranded wire for a better connection with a tug test.

If you have an R1+ you arnt stuck with their proprietary board if your up for some wiring.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

jim3Dbot and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I must jump in and admit the guys here are tops in my opinion. I've only been around a few months but I've watched the group pick up the pieces of failed printer projects and turned them into well running fine tuned equipment to be proud of.

These are not microwave ovens that produce a desired product at the press of a button (yet) they are a tinkerer's tool and part of the hobby is working on the printer itself.