1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print Head Speed and Underextrusion?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric R., Aug 24, 2016.

1. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

I can't seem to print higher than the bottom three layers of a 20 mm calibration cube without everything just stringing out and failing. I notice that the interior of the bottom layers is nice and solid, but the perimeters are all stringy. By the time it's ready to print the walls, the perimeter is substantially shorter than the rest of the base, so there's nothing for the vertical walls to build on
    I notice that the back-and-forth motion of infill for the bottom layers is slow, while the perimeters go really fast. Seems like there's no wonder the perimeters are so meager, with the nozzle zooming around the edges. Is there something I can do to compensate for the speed of the prin thead? Wouldn't it automatically push more filament out when it's going fast around the edges?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of that is controlled by the slicer.
    You don't say which one.

3. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

Oh - sorry. I'm using Slic3r (v 1.2.9), along with Repetier Host (v. 1.6.2)

4. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

In case this helps - you can see the first two layers of fill are way thicker than the perimeter, which seems like it was stretched thin as the print head went whizzing around.

[​IMG]

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is that pla? Are you using an oiler. Looks to me like pla jamming

6. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

It is pla - and a new spool of it, at that. I don't have an oiler... What can I do to get one without being able to print one for myself?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's pla doing the norm remove the filament dip the end of it in canola oil then heat and extrude a few hundred mm of filament until it comes out nice

8. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

I will try that, though I do feel like it's coming out nicer than it ever has. The reason I say that is that I just installed a new Titan extruder (along with a new NEMA 17 stepper motor) and V6 Lite from E3D. I am a newbie, and it was quite a task for me, so I'm assuming that I've done something wrong. I guess I've tuned the PID properly, and through trial and error I have the z offset to where the first layer seems to stick pretty well. I set the Z steps per mm to 800, but I also haven't done anything to the extruder steps per mm. Nor have I done anything to the slicer settings. So yes - I'll oil it, but I fear you might be very kindly giving me too much benefit of the doubt that I have basic things set properly. I've been fighting this second hand printer for months now, learning scraps as I go, but I can tell there are still vast gaps in my understanding - especially where it comes to the software. I appreciate the help.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That looks like z offset needs your attention. It also makes me wonder if your Ramps fan is working with the quality of the layers.

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hey guys, please ask what the layer height is set to. We tend to forget about asking that because we know that layer height best practice is keeping it between 25% and 75% of the nozzle orifice size.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. danzca6

Excellent point @WheresWaldo. I am sure it will be a combination of a couple issues. Hopefully they are using a standard height. I do forget about that from time to time.

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just mention it because there is no squish on those layers.

14. danzca6

Unless he was using one of those 3D Printing Pens...looks about right for the quality they give you. ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont use repetier but hooefulky someone tgat does can chime in. Best i can suggest is try a new usb cable and a different port on your computer. You also want to make sure no usb devices are in use at the same time, may cause confusion for the pc

16. Jaime

Jaime New Member

Level your bed properly and change your z height. I don't believe the oiler is necessary at all. Use elders purple glue sticks and don't be shy laying it down. PLA will stick to it very nicely. Get the mechanical motion working before tweaking software. I see a lot of software talk and in reality a little tweaking on the mechanical side takes care of most issues. Get the temperature right and don't be afraid to waste some filament before you start printing.

The first layer should be semi squished. Get the first layer right and you can print 150% of the standard speed with no problem.