1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Stop extruding with new extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sebrobin, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I had to replace the original extruder with the Hexagon Hotend (purchased at Robo3D).
    It extrudes fine but after 20 seconds, it stops extruding. It seems that the screw is sliding on the filament.
    I checked the hotend and the filament does not slide very well into it. The mechanical tolerance must be very small.
    Unless there is another problem ?
    I attached the picture of the filament after I extract it. Any idea ?

Attached Files:

2. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Are you sure your temp is hot enough? Different hotends can require different temps.

3. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I also think it is too cold.
    Do you know if the firmware must be modified when you change the hotend ? (from the original hotend to the Hexagonal one)
    Maybe the thermistor has a different sensibility ?

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

What hotend did you have before? The R1 comes with a hexagon already? Or do you have a beta?

Thermistor setup in the firmware should be as follows in configuration.h for the hex hotend and thermistor. This sets it to a 100k thermistor.
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1

#4 danzca6, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. danzca6

Also may want to do a PID tuning on the hotend, but you shouldn't be going cold mid print.

6. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I have a beta. Black hotend

7. danzca6

I just double checked the beta firmware and the thermistor settings are the same

Edit:
    One thing to change at some point is your max temp setting. You should be able to push that up to 290 at least now.

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240

8. danzca6

you probably already checked for any loose connections correct?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The beta originally had a J-Head, but the hexagon will swap in just fine. Other than perhaps wanting to adjust the temperature limits as @danzca6 suggested there should be no real difference. It will need to be releveled obviously since the hexagon is much smaller than the J-Head, but if you have been using a beta you should be familiar with that by now.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

what does the OD of your filament measure? I think the hexagon had a smaller OD for filament than the J-head (I have no experience with a BETA, speaking in general of J-head that I've used compared to hexagon that I've used).

anything over 1.8mm in any direction on the filament really causes issues with the hexagon. really if my filament wasn't under the - side of the tolerance (1.70-1.75) I had issues with the hexagon.

11. danzca6

I am also assuming if that is PLA that you went through the steps of seasoning the new hotend and use an oiler? Did the terminal log give any error about temp or did you see any dip in temp during print? Not sure what software you are using.

12. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I have disassembled the hotend and the filament is very tight in it !
    What is the point of having it so tight ??
    I am a bit fed up by the poor quality of all these components.
    I could list all the issues I had and most of them are related to poor design or poor quality.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

what does your filament measure? The cheaper made (hexagon and the such) hotends are very tight tolerances so out of spec (or close to out of spec) filament doesn't do well with it.

danzca6 likes this.
  14. danzca6

What does your filament diameter measure? I've not had any issues with the filament I'm using but wonder if it gets older and moisture gets into it if it expands a bit. If you have any newer or unopened filament I wonder if it would be closer to spec and would go in better. What type of filament are you using?

If you had bought the hotend from Amazon I would be suspicious of it being a knockoff, but since you bought it from Robo3d I would think it would be of better quality. That is unfortunate if it is the hotend.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a real reason why the Hexagon is so much cheaper than the E3D when both are small, all-metal hotends with similar capabilities. The hexagon is cheaper built. I do hope in the newer Robo units that they either use a high quality hotend or offer that as a pre-built option.

16. danzca6

I heard they are sticking with the Hex for the R2/C2 printers. Would have been nice to see them go with the E3D V6.

17. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I have Robo3D filament but they are quite old. I have one unopened but it is ABS.
    I'll take my calliper and advise the diameter.
    What hotend do you suggest instead of Hexagon ? Something that fits my actual printer with not too much DIY. Also keep in mind that I have the auto bed levelling with the induction sensor and I don't have space on the right of the carriage.

18. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

the E3DV6 cost 43£ where the hexagon is 39$. This is quite the same.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In the US it is not as close :)

Still, the price difference is not as great as it used to be.
    I am not saying that the hexagon is junk, it is not, but quality and performance are better with the E3D and have been since the V5 at least.

20. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.