1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Stainless steel print nozzles

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Huggins, Oct 11, 2016.

1. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

Has anyone tried using a stainless steel nozzle on a Robo3D R1+ as a replacement for the brass nozzle. If so any changes or adjustments that need to be made or done to help get good or better prints?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi John, I haven't used stainless but do use hardened. With hardened it requires higher hear, I imagine the stainless would be similar

3. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I try them. Where do you get your hardened nozzles and what size do you use for the majrity of your prints?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Any nozzle that is compatible with the e3d is compatible with the hexogon as well. Just a quick tip when you are searching for new nozzles. Might have to double check your z offset after replacing as well.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A word of caution about Stainless Steel nozzles, make sure you are buying them for the correct reason. Stainless steel nozzles were made for the needs of the food industry. Brass is an alloy that contains Lead and as such leaves trace amounts of Lead in your printed model. Stainless Steel nozzles are not made specifically to lengthen the working life of your nozzle. They also do not prolong the useful life if you use abrasive filaments. Then there is the uneven heat distribution of Stainless Steel. The do not heat as uniformly as brass nozzles do. The last issue is the cost, for the marginal advantages, if any at all, their cost to performance ratio is rather low. If you can understand those limitations then experiment with Stainless Steel nozzles.

If you want good performance/price value stick with brass (which can be bought very cheaply even from Amazon).
    If you need your nozzle to withstand abrasive materials move to hardened steel nozzles.
    If your models will be used with food or in medical applications then Stainless Steel is your choice.

#6 WheresWaldo, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Rigmarol likes this.
  7. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

Thanks to all for your answers, and Thanks Waldo for your explanation about stainless steel nozzles. I was looking at them for the wrong reasons, and would have wondered down a trail I did not need to go on. Thanks a bunch. If anything, I will look into the hardened nozzles. I am looking for something that will not wear down or will hold the size a bit better than the brass ones do. Thanks again to you all.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I usually buy brass nozzles in lots of 5 or 10 at a time, they are easy to replace and should be done at regular usage intervals, I can buy a lot of brass nozzles for the cost of on hardened nozzle. But, I rarely use abrasive filaments, I have some samples that were sent to me, but I typically don't use them for general use.

9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If you have a hardened nozzle @WheresWaldo, why wouldn't you use it for everyday printing as well as abrasive filaments?

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use a hardened nozzle routinely on one (just happens to be the one with the volcano). Still using brass on the other.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6
    I don't use hardened nozzles, no point if all I am printing with is PETG or PLA

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Rigmarol I buy them like that too, works out much cheaper and if I occasionally use an abrasive filament, I don't feel bad tossing the nozzle after I am done.

Geof, Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.