1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Power issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Boost, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost New Member

Hi,I've been using my printer for over a year and now it seems to have developed some power issues. When the printer is turned on, the fan speed is lower and the LED lights are dimmer. Once I turn up either the extruder or bed temperature, the printer shuts off and when I turn the temp back off, the printer comes back on (still with weaker than usual fan and LED).
    I've seen on the threads that the thermistor possibly causes the printer to turn off if it is faulty, but I see no error message and this happens when I turn on only the bed temp too. Sometimes it heats up for about a minute before shutting off, and other times it shuts off immediately without throwing any error.

Do I need to replace the PSU? If yes, any PSU suggestions?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

could be the PSU or a bad connection or wire. Have you checked to make sure the small ramps fan is running under the printer?

If you need a new PSU I like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K2H0GI/ because it's good quality and the PSU fan only runs when needed making it a bit quieter.

Geof likes this.
  3. Boost

Boost New Member

Yes, I checked and the RAMPS fan is running. Also checked for any loose connections to the PSU and RAMPS. I've ordered a new PSU so we'll see if that fixes it. Thanks!

4. danzca6

You'll like the new PSU if it is the one I linked to. Did you check the voltage coming out of the PSU to check if it is 12V still? There is an adjustment you can make to raise it if needed. I hope the PSU does the job and it isn't something else.

5. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

I am experiencing a similar issue.

When I am running ABS (higher temp bed / nozzle), maybe 35 minutes into the build, the printer will shut off completely for a split second, then flicker back on almost instantly. Any thoughts? Just prior to this my printer was making a large buzzing noise for a few builds, but that has now subsided.

6. danzca6

A large buzzing could be a fan going bad. Having that noise subside might be the fan no longer working. Check that the PSU and the RAMPS fans are still working.

7. Boost

Boost New Member

Got a new PSU and problem solved. Printed for hours with no issues.

Thanks!

WheresWaldo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  8. danzca6

Glad that helped. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.