1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Matter Control Vs. Repetier Support Material

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gimpel, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

I use a Mac.
    Before my Robo3d I used Repetiere, and was pleased with it on my first 'kit' printer. Then I got a robo3d.
    My friend preferred repetiere when using his Robo3d so I exported his repetiere settings and mirrored our setups exactly.... yet for some strange reason, Mattercontrol was giving me much better results than him.

The only think I like more about Repetiere is the cleaner support material.

Is there anyone who has a nice, good set of Repetiere settings files, for a MAC?
    Or know why I'm not getting as good results on Repetier when my friend on a PC gets better?

(please don't make this a 'Get a PC' holy war. thank you.)

-Gimpel

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Gimpel aren't the configuration files exactly the same regardless of platform? Why not ask him for his.You might have to tweak a parameter or two to get it perfect, but otherwise they should be the same.

3. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

That's the thing, the config files are identical. You have to tweak a few things to import the Rep. settings from a pc to a mac, but side by side, the settings are identical.

And yet, when I print out the same item (using a test token) with Repetier is doesn't come out nearly as nice as with Matter Control, and yet on his PC, the same item, comes out nicer or Repetier.

It boggles my mind. So I gave up and just was using MatterControl, except, I find the support material problem starting to become more and more annoying.

Thanks for any additional ideas that may come
    -=Gimpel

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or a "switch to Simplify3D and never worry about supports again" thread :)

Just heading that off at the pass.

Scifideity likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Maybe your machine settings are different. Speed of print, retraction, etc.

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I support PCs and Macs at work and have repeatedly found that the same programs do not always work the same for PC vs Mac.
    That having been said, on to supports; I used MC quite a bit and didn't want to spend the money for Simplify 3D until I took care of some other financials first. I read a few posts on CURA and gave it a try. Although it doesn't do supports nearly as nice as S3D I have to say it handles supports far better than MC. I am seriously looking to stay with CURA rather than spend money in the near future. CURA is free and costs nothing to see if it meets your needs.

Scifideity likes this.
  7. Gimpel

Gimpel New Member

Well I decided to trial S3d for 2 weeks. And I learned a LOT in the process. I will try Cura. However, I don't think I'll ever go back to Repietier now that I've seen what S3d can do.

1 - The Z-axis switch was lose on my robo3d+ the assembly had come loose from the adjustment hex nut and was not triggering during auto-level.

but because it took me so long to figure out how to adjust it, I think I threw the entire thing out of calibration. So now, even auto-levelling doesn't level it perfectly.

What I need to know is how to level the print head unit, manually so that it is level again.
    Been searching forums and there is precious little about hardware manual levelling of the robo3d

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Search for Paper Leveling

Or Ask Tom :)

Rigmarol and Geof like this.