1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed Leveling Positioning

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by spankurmonkey, Dec 29, 2016.

1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I have noticed that when my printer goes to do it's bed leveling that of the 9 points it checks three of them are outside of the heated bed area.

I am just wondering if that's normal or not.

It just seems that these points are shift back on the build plate.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you are looking at a white square painted onto the glass plate, please note that the square has nothing to do with reality. It is just for decoration and does not indicate either the print area nor the heated area. In fact the actual heated area is approximately 65% of the build-able area. This is usually not an issue until building larger models as glass being an insulator rather than a conductor of heat you can have some drastic drops in bed temperature from the center to the outer edges.

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I went through the same question when I first got my Robo. The bed graphics are only there to be pretty and make the blah black glass bed "Look cooler". It's actually more of a pain to all new owners that assume (and rightly so) that a "square graphic" on a "print bed" indicates something meaningful like "WHERE THE PRINTER PRINTS!".

Normal assumption but in actuality the graphic means nothing as to where the print job happens.

In fact, where your graphic and where my graphic is most likely differ greatly.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

PLUS owners are mostly spared from this since they eliminated the white square from the print bed graphics. Although some wrongly believe that the big R1PLUS is the middle of the print area somehow.

5. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

Thanks guys.. I have a plus and it has the printed square and I am just now printing a large rectangle and its printed about 1" outside of the square....

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ignore the printed lines

Geof likes this.