1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Smallest Detail

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Allelujah, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Hello everyone and Happy New Years! So I woke up this morning with a question on my mind. What is the smallest level of detail the Robo R1+ can print at in millimeters, If that makes sense. Example, I printed off a sword for my Gunpla so its somewhat large but small enough for a 6 inch model of a Gundam. Well the Handle is about 2mm around with chamfers that are 0.889mm. Are those chamfers too small on the handle for the Robo R1+ to print? Because when I printed the sword, either they are too small to see, or they didnt print and it just rounded the handle out.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Depends on nozzle diameter and a number of other minor details :) The smaller the nozzle the more detail (as a general rule of thumb) at the cost or longer print times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of the robos we have configured with an E3D volcano and 1mm nozzles. Great for faster and larger prints with decent detail. The other is using a regular E3D with 0.25 nozzle for a much higher detail (and much slower) print. The delta is currently right in the middle with a 0.6

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Not sure what the Nozzle diameter is on my Robo R1+ XD Its stock with whatever it came with. But I am guessing that its not small enough for the level of detailing in my designs, which means back to the drawing board to redesign some swords XD

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The stock is a rather common size ... 0.4mm

6. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Do you think I should try a print with roughly the same level of detailing or should i make sure my angles and lines are around 1mm and over? Based on knowing that i have a stock nozzle. Would like to waste as little filament as possible with low quality prints. Also another question as it popped into my head, does print quality make a difference in the level of detail? As i printed in Medium quality, Would have High quality been a better choice?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Think of it this way (simplistic but it helps) you are putting down strips of plastic that are nozzle diameter in width and layer height tall.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I dont use MC so I have no clue what medium quality means for those settings

9. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty XD Thanks for the replies :D Going to get back into Fusion 360 and rework these designs.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have fun. To complicate things :) the width of the filament deposited is never exactly nozzle diameter because some filament types expand a bit and others shrink a bit. But it should be quite close. As the nozzle wears the diameter will grow.

11. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Great lol well Does Robo 3D sell different nozzles or where would I go to get other nozzles? And is it a good idea to have a few nozzles laying around to switch it up for different prints?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes... having extra nozzles is good and cheap. Any normal E3D compatible nozzles will work (avoid the E3D volcano nozzles)

Printedsolid.com carries them or use Amazon or wherever you prefer.

13. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty thanks XD I will shop around and see where i can get the best price. And will do to avoid volcano nozzles lol

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What mark says about the nozzle size is spot on. I use the new e3d .15 nozzle and can print .05mm layers all day and have pushed down to .01 (I can't see a difference, but the print time sure does, so no clue what to say about it lol )

I use that nozzle for fun and now just started producing toy parts (collectible antique stuff you can't get parts for) and model kits that people want (this is all customer work, not my own ). .25 is more reliable but .15 makes very small high detail pieces that are frankly quite amazing off our little 800.00 printerss:). Not sure if this helps or if I'm rambling lol but there it is ? :D

Allelujah and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah Im thinking about getting a variety of nozzles since from what i have read is some prints will require certain nozzles XD I plan on 3D printing a full size Buster sword So if i understood correctly, Larger diameter nozzle will help with strength of the prints and make it faster to print at the cost of detail. where I would want a really small diameter nozzle for stuff like my gunpla swords. :D I tend to do the tiniest of details so i think im going to just get a bunch of nozzles and experiment XD

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thicker layers print faster with (a very small) loss of detail. (The difference in fractions of a mm are hard to see)

Allelujah likes this.
  17. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

So i have another question but this time about how to remove a nozzle that is on really tight. I dont want to strip it and or break anything trying to get it off, but when needing to clean it i cant seem to remove it XD Im not doing it now, but the last time i switched filaments there was a jam but luckly got cleared by pushing other filament through. But i couldnt remove the nozzle. Do i need to replace that whole assembly when getting new nozzles since i think it is on too tight?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Th hey have to be installed and remove ed ... hot. Heat the nozzle to 230 or so and (carefully) break it loose with two wrenches. One on the nozzle and the other holding the heater block so it does not move. Once it is loose cool it down and remove it

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Installtion is the reverse. Hand tight then heat it to 230 and snug it back it. No Gorilla grip needed just nice and snug

Geof likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is needed because the heater block and nozzle are not the same metal which means they heat and cool at differing rates. If you only tighten them cold they will get loose with use

Geof likes this.