1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3Dv6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by spankurmonkey, Jan 11, 2017.

1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

What are the pros/cons of the E3Dv6 hot end compared to the stock one?

For a new person whos new to 3d printing is this something that is a must or more so left to the experts in 3d printing?

Where is one to buy it and how easy is it to install on the Robo ?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

E3d is a all metal hotend. Good quality parts that are serviceable. Much better than the stock hexagon.

Not terrible to install but will need some printed parts and a firmware change. Long thread on that.

Www.printedsolid.com

@Printed Solid is the go to guy

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

better design, all replaceable (and available) spare parts (you can for example buy just the heat break)

Not a must. However if you want to do things like flexible filaments it is easier to use the E3D.\

Buy it from E3D online or from our very own @Printed Solid (printedsolid.com)

Geof likes this.
  4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'm still printing from my stock Hexagon with no issues.
    I want to go for the E3DV6 because all the "cool" tinkerers have one but mine hasn't let me down yet. Darn!

Printed Solid and Geof like this.
  5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'm totally on board with this. The E3D gives you a lot of good options and will be higher reliability, but if it's not broken... I think it's really a matter of properly assessing your own skills and interests. If you *like* hacking on the printer to tweak out optimal performance and capability or if your hexagon is broken then do the E3D upgrade. If not?

There was a time before the hexagon was implemented where the Robo hot end was so bad that there was no choice but to upgrade it almost immediately, but they've improved a lot since then, and some, like @Rigmarol 's will just be solid reliable hot ends. If not, E3D V6 or even the lite 6 are great options.

FWIW, we also offer an assembled version now, but I'd still encourage anyone to buy the kit; save a few bucks and understand how it is assembled.

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is all I want to know about the difference, the bore of the E3Dv6 hotend is 2 mm, the bore of the Hexagon is 1.85 mm that 0.15 mm can make a big difference in the smooth flow of filament.

I would consider the E3D-Lite just like any other cheap Chinese clone and it isn't worth any amount of time or expense.