1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 20mm test cube tolerance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CEchols, May 2, 2015.

1. CEchols

CEchols Member

So I just installed an E3D V6 print head on my printer and the first few prints where terrible! after a few copies of the same object with the same settings they seemed to improve... (Id love to hear thoughts on why that could be :))

Anyway I printed a 20mm test cube to see how its tolerances where and the X, Y, Z were 20.07, 19.74, 19.87

Are those normal tolerances, or could I improve something?

Thanks!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's pretty reasonable. .13 on the height could easily be an issue with the first layer being too low. .26 is probably just measurement error and if you took some more measurements you'd get a range of values around 20.

3. CEchols

CEchols Member

What do you mean by measurement error? I am using digital calipers for measurement.

Thanks!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You took multiple measurements around the Z axis and they were all exactly the same?

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Mike's probably right. But... If you want to try playing around with it more, I'm guessing you're underextruding just a tiny bit. From your description of other problems, this may be due to temp being too low.

By measurement errors, he means uncontrollable errors associated with the measurement or measurement technique, not that you are reading the numbers incorrectly.
    How you hold the calipers, how tightly you squeeze, how well they are calibrated, what the ambient temperature is, what the temperature of the plastic is, where exactly on the part you are taking the measurement, etc. The killer with digital calipers is that they put a lot of decimal places on them that far exceed the actual accuracy or capability of the tools. this is true for the serious metrology companies and even more so for the cheapos from harbor freight and what not.
    Here is is in even more words :p
    http://what-when-how.com/metrology/sources-of-errors-metrology/

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Performing the extrusion calibration is also a good idea if you need really precise prints:

7. CEchols

CEchols Member

Sorr
    sorry for the delay in responding... no I measure several places and the measurements differed across, but that was the most off.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would say 'yes'

Always, just depends on how much time, effort and money you want to throw at it.

9. CEchols

CEchols Member

I am going to try Mike's suggestion and watch the extruder calibration video. I will let you know what the result it.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good start. That one is easy and straight forward. You can get a lot of return on that investment.