1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D portraits

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Central Utah 3D, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Central Utah 3D

Central Utah 3D New Member

So the reason I purchased the Robo printer was to try and get into doing 3D portraits for people.

Here are the 2 latest. 4 inches tall high quality print. Used the software provided by Robo -- only setting I changed was to take the check mark off of support structure. Baby is the same in both. One is the dad holding the baby, and then the mom holding the baby.

Mom and dad.jpg

7 people like this.
  2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

What do you use to do the 3D scan?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

While it will slow it down a lot, if the scan has the resolution you an decrease the layer size and get finer details out of the print if you want.
    Those do look quite good as-is though :)

4. Central Utah 3D

Sense 3D handheld scanner. Made by the same company that makes the cube 3D printers. I'm still getting the hang of scanning people in. The pictures of what they've scanned/printed are soooooooo much better than mine. But they've been doing it a lot longer than a month I'm sure.

http://cubify.com/en/Compare/Scanners

5. Central Utah 3D

One thing I'm having a problem with is the support structure. Like on this one. If I could find a way to get the support off it would be really really cool. As is the guy loved it and was going to try and find some type of saw to cut the fill material off.

vic-guitar-1.jpg

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

From what I've seen, your sense scans are as good as any. 3D systems and stratasys have a nasty habit of using one product to sell another.

I run a David SLS scanner, which produces incredible detail and accuracy, but is slow. Your post motivated me. I went out and bough a kinect. Googling how to use it for scanning now : )

On the support issue, Try downloading meshmixer and using their support generation or simplify3d. People love the Simplify3D supports, but meshmixer may have some advantages for your models. You can have it auto orient to a position where minimal supports are required and then generate support. This will leave the least amount of support scarring.

You should look into some of the filled materials for these prints. I think stained and sealed woodfill would be a big hit.

2 people like this.
  7. Central Utah 3D

Thanks!

And you want to know something funny. It was the Barnacules video of him making the little wooden box that made me take the plunge and buy the 3D printer and scanner. I'm going to have to contact the store up in Salt Lake that I got this silver filament from and make sure I can get some more because it's great for these portraits (and I do want to try some woodfill).

I downloaded the cura (sp) program that Barnacules uses . . . but I couldn't get the print head to print anywhere near the print bed (kind of drizzled from 4 inches above) so I deleted it and went back to the mattercontrol . I may have to try the Meshmixer . . . when I'm filling brave.

Can I ask that you post a pic of what you scan and print (so I can see how it REALLY is done :) )

2 people like this.
  8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yes, Barnacules has been great at getting people into 3D printing

Cura really is awesome. To use it, you just need to put in some commands into the start gcode to get the autoleveling to work, but if mattercontrol is stable for you, don't worry about it. You know you can use cura as a slicer from within mattercontrol, right? Maybe give that a try with the line supports. see if that helps.

Meshmixer isn't a slicer. It's a design editing and analysis program. You just open your design in it, tell it some of the settings you plan on printing with, then it will reorient your part and add it's own supports. It's great for some models, not so good for others.

I'm not a scanning expert by any means. Nearly all of the scanning I've done has been on customer jobs, so I can't share, but here's a scan I did of a shell. There are no scanning artifacts at all. All of the pits and waves you see in the model are actually present in the shell. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53559