1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 3D printer is acting crazy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Whovian Gamer, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Whovian Gamer

Whovian Gamer New Member

I first go the printer in September 2015 and no matter what I do, it does not work. The first time I used it, I downloaded the software and then tried to print the calibration circle. The only problem was that I didn't get a circle, but instead I got something that resembled a 3D scribble. The next time I tried to use it, the entire thing locked up and I smelled smoke. After I fixed that the extruded stopped working and instead of printing something, it just went through the motions. After I did some experimenting with the extruder, which I got working, I tested it again. Then the extruded instantlly hit the maximum temprature, I burned myself, and I had to reset everything. When I finally got it back on, it made a painful screech when it tried to move up, so I unplugged it. After I plugged it back in, I tried printing again and the printer head would not move down, only up. Does anybody know what is happening and how to fix it? :mad::confused::eek:o_O

P.S. I can not take it to a repair shop because according to my dad "We don't have the money," even though we do.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is it only moving up during the auto level? glad to see someone your age working on a printer, just remember keep your hands out of moving parts, don't touch electrical things with the power on and as you learned the hot end is very hot. Shouldn't touch it. Can you upload a video so we can see what's happening when you try to print?

3. Whovian Gamer

Whovian Gamer New Member

1. No, it also continuousaly moves up as it prints.
    2. I know about electrical safety, since my dad works with it a lot, but thanks anyway
    3. Toutching the extruder was an accident. I got the list in the wrong order so it sounds like I toutched the extruder before I unplugged it, but in fact it was the other way around. I thought the extruded had cooled off and I reached in to move some wires around. That's when I accidentally touched the extruder, which was still about 130 degrees, and burned myself.
    4. I will upload a video as soon as I get the printer plugged in and I figure out how to upload a video

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If the endstops aren't flat against the X-axis brackets on both sides of the machine, the printer will think it has to pick the X-axis up to trigger said endstops.

Also, if the X-axis isn't running parallel to the bed below, the touch-off routine will react the same way.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's where I would start. Ensure the switches on the sides are seated correctly, do a paper leveling then see where your at

6. Whovian Gamer

Whovian Gamer New Member

I am sorry that I haven't posted in so long, I have been very busy. Anyway, I tested the printer but instead of even moving, the printer head went from 27 degrees to 350 degrees then to 27 degrees then to 350 degrees and so on. I also checked the endstop and it was flat against the X-axis brackets, so I don't think that caused the problem. I only have one endstop and I am not sure there if there is only supposed to be one endstop or if my printer was constructed incorrectly.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you share somepicturesofyour printer? Im not sure whatmodelyou have. Temp bouncing everywhere could be a thermistor issue

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Only one Z endstop is a beta, not an R1 or R1+. Only one X or Y endstop is normal for all models.